Old 20-04-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
BeTu

Default When plant Canna's ?

We live in Zone 5, and have a quantity of Canna bulbs from last year which
we dug up last Fall. When is the best time to put them back in the garden ?
Obliged !
Ben

Old 21-04-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"BeTu" wrote in message
.. .
We live in Zone 5, and have a quantity of Canna bulbs from last year which
we dug up last Fall. When is the best time to put them back in the garden
?
Obliged !
Ben

Right now. If they sprout, and you expect one of those late season freezes,
toss an old bed sheet over them. Next year, if you have the space, start
them in early March in pots or trays, under lights or in a VERY sunny
window. You'll get flowers a little sooner. Not always worth the effort,
unless you're obsessed with them or you have a greenhouse.

Old 21-04-2006, 10:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

You can plant your Canna RHIZOMES (Their not bulbs) after the danger of
freezing is past and the ground has warmed up some. Out here in the High
Mojave Desert mine, which I don't need to dig up, are sending up shoots
already.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

.. .

Old 25-04-2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nicole

I'm in Bakersfield and my Canna's never completely died back.
This weather has been SO bizarre.
My poppies have already sprouted and some are going to seed.... usually they
don't sprout until summer.
Nothing is being water either.... we've just had so much rain (relatively
speaking)
Nicole
"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
You can plant your Canna RHIZOMES (Their not bulbs) after the danger of
freezing is past and the ground has warmed up some. Out here in the High
Mojave Desert mine, which I don't need to dig up, are sending up shoots
already.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

.. .

Old 25-04-2006, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

Well, your not that far away from me, I'm over and down the hill from you in
the southwesten corner of Kern, down in Rosamond. I don't lift my canna at
all and right now there's lots of them sending up their shoots. I'm getting
ready to start some canna seeds too. I mostly grow Omega, but I also have my
Thai Princess and Tiki-Torch canna.

"Nicole" wrote in message
I'm in Bakersfield and my Canna's never completely died back.
This weather has been SO bizarre.
My poppies have already sprouted and some are going to seed.... usually
they don't sprout until summer.
Nothing is being water either.... we've just had so much rain (relatively
speaking)
Nicole
"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
You can plant your Canna RHIZOMES (Their not bulbs) after the danger of
freezing is past and the ground has warmed up some. Out here in the High
Mojave Desert mine, which I don't need to dig up, are sending up shoots
already.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

.. .

Old 26-04-2006, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have tons of Cannas in my back yard. They've been out there for over
a decade. I never dig them up, and they continue to multiply. On very
cold winters the leaves freeze a bit, so I cut them back down even with
the ground, and in a few weeks after the first warm weather (March or
so), they spring right back up.

I live in Sacramento.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

[IMG] code is On

Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
How deep to plant Canna? dementia13 Gardening 1 20-06-2003 06:08 AM
Canna 4 Sale Starlord Gardening 2 06-02-2003 03:49 PM
New Canna for Spring Starlord Gardening 0 28-01-2003 04:23 PM
Canna Starlord Gardening 0 26-01-2003 05:52 AM