Old 20-06-2003, 04:44 AM
dementia13

Default How deep to plant Canna?

Hi, all. I have a hole in my front yard, about 8-12" deep and 12-18" in
diameter. I was about to fill it in last year, when a giant Canna popped
out of it. I can't tell how deep it's actually planted, but the one
that's emerged seems to be growing out of the side of the hole, with an
air pocket beneath it. There are a couple more, which I believe are
growing out of the middle of the hole. I love the Cannae, but I hate the
pit in my yard. If I were to fill it in, would I endanger the plants?

Old 20-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Duane Runnels

Where I am, IN z5, I have to life mine in the fall and replant in the
spring. You might be OK just covering them up if you live further south. I
usually scrape off the top 1-2" of my canna bed with a shovel or rake, place
the canna on the bed and then lightly cover with soil. Mine sort of just
lie on top of the bed. You could try lifting them gently, filling in your
hole, replace them and cover with just a bit of soil. Do you have iris?
About the same depth, with the "bulbs" protruding above the soil a bit.
Obviously they can take some abuse.

"dementia13" wrote in message
Hi, all. I have a hole in my front yard, about 8-12" deep and 12-18" in
diameter. I was about to fill it in last year, when a giant Canna popped
out of it. I can't tell how deep it's actually planted, but the one
that's emerged seems to be growing out of the side of the hole, with an
air pocket beneath it. There are a couple more, which I believe are
growing out of the middle of the hole. I love the Cannae, but I hate the
pit in my yard. If I were to fill it in, would I endanger the plants?

[IMG] code is On

Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
Pump blockage - Cleaning the 'deep well' - Plant explosion Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 1 12-07-2009 08:21 PM
When plant Canna's ? BeTu Gardening 5 26-04-2006 04:39 AM
How deep is too deep? Andrew Burgess Ponds 22 02-06-2004 03:13 AM
plant/ground cover deep shade kate Gardening 0 03-06-2003 06:32 PM