Old 28-04-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Chipper/Shredder Recommendations

Hi. I am wondering if you would recommend a chipper/shredder for what
I would like to do - and if anyone has any recommendations.

I would mainly be grinding up fairly small branches off of shrubs and
understory trees that I have pruned, branches that fall on the ground,
and perennials that I have cut down in the spring, and for grinding up
leaves - though that is not absolutely necessary - since I already have
a leaflbower/shredder and I can also grind up the leaves with my
lawnmower.

I'd like to put the waste in my composter to eventually mulch my
perennial and shrub beds with. All of the ones I see, say they will
take up to 3" branches which seems kind of excessive for what I'd be
doing. Are there ones that are less expensive for just smaller
branches, but that still work, or am I better off going with one that
can handle larger just in case.

Meg

Old 29-04-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
uy2618

Get one one or two sizes or pwers larger than you think your current needs
are. A few years ago I bought the largest petrol model that was still
considered domestic grade that I could find.

Within a month I was trying to munch stuff that would have suited an even
larger model.

3 inch branches are quite large and anything that wil handle those should be
fine for you. Last Christmas i bought a foliage muncher as a present for
someone. This is fine for all leaves, stalks and foliage and cost around the
$A100 ($US60 mark), but my recommendations (subject to your budget) a
Buy larger than anticipated
Buy petrol rather than electric (they tend to be built stronger)
Get one with a foliage hopper as well as a brach feeder.

Good luck

ups.com...