Old 03-05-2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gray Squirrel Problem

Hi,

I have a bunch of gray squirrel in my yard. They've always eaten the
bird seed I put in feeder, but I really don't care about that.

Recently however, a gray squirrel was gnawing on a Burning Bush shrub
that has been under the bird feeders for about 4 years now.

I've never seen a gray squirrel try to eat a shrub before.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or just a temporary
oddity. The bush was just setting out new leaves as it is mid spring
where I live (coastal NH).

Any recommended solutions besides moving the bush or the feeders?

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
hob

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a bunch of gray squirrel in my yard. They've always eaten the
bird seed I put in feeder, but I really don't care about that.

Recently however, a gray squirrel was gnawing on a Burning Bush shrub
that has been under the bird feeders for about 4 years now.

I've never seen a gray squirrel try to eat a shrub before.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or just a temporary
oddity. The bush was just setting out new leaves as it is mid spring
where I live (coastal NH).

Any recommended solutions besides moving the bush or the feeders?

when you find a cure for "squirrels", let me know - we'll make a fortune :-)

PS - squirrel gravy is the best gravy, period. (seriously)

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have had good luck stopping the tree rats from digging in my flower beds with a
dusting of blood meal. but this morning I heard about people spraying fox urine on
stuff to keep chippies from digging/chewing. if all else fails, try some tanglefoot
on the bush. Ingrid

wrote:

Hi,

I have a bunch of gray squirrel in my yard. They've always eaten the
bird seed I put in feeder, but I really don't care about that.

Recently however, a gray squirrel was gnawing on a Burning Bush shrub
that has been under the bird feeders for about 4 years now.

I've never seen a gray squirrel try to eat a shrub before.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or just a temporary
oddity. The bush was just setting out new leaves as it is mid spring
where I live (coastal NH).

Any recommended solutions besides moving the bush or the feeders?

Thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 04-05-2006, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

I use a big bulk bag of cayenne pepper from a health food store. It's
cheaper there. Sprinkle around planting beds or whatever you want to keep
the little stinkers out of. It has always worked for me, or course you need
to reapply after a rain.

wrote:

Hi,

I have a bunch of gray squirrel in my yard. They've always eaten the
bird seed I put in feeder, but I really don't care about that.

Recently however, a gray squirrel was gnawing on a Burning Bush shrub
that has been under the bird feeders for about 4 years now.

I've never seen a gray squirrel try to eat a shrub before.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or just a temporary
oddity. The bush was just setting out new leaves as it is mid spring
where I live (coastal NH).

Any recommended solutions besides moving the bush or the feeders?

Thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 05-05-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Roan Martin

"hob" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a bunch of gray squirrel in my yard. They've always eaten the
bird seed I put in feeder, but I really don't care about that.

Recently however, a gray squirrel was gnawing on a Burning Bush shrub
that has been under the bird feeders for about 4 years now.

I've never seen a gray squirrel try to eat a shrub before.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or just a temporary
oddity. The bush was just setting out new leaves as it is mid spring
where I live (coastal NH).

Any recommended solutions besides moving the bush or the feeders?

when you find a cure for "squirrels", let me know - we'll make a fortune
:-)

We had a terrible rabbit and squirrel problem until a new neighbor moved
into the next house down the road. They have two huge altered male cats.
These cats prowl through our gardens and yard several times a day. Within 2
years both the rabbits and squirrels have become close to extinct. The
quail also stay away.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a bunch of gray squirrel in my yard. They've always eaten the
bird seed I put in feeder, but I really don't care about that.

Recently however, a gray squirrel was gnawing on a Burning Bush shrub
that has been under the bird feeders for about 4 years now.

I've never seen a gray squirrel try to eat a shrub before.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or just a temporary
oddity. The bush was just setting out new leaves as it is mid spring
where I live (coastal NH).

You may need 5 or 6 of the gray squirrels, as these are a bit smaller
than others. They are easily caught in a trap baited with peanut
butter. Our local red-tailed hawks tend to thin out the squirrel
population too.

SQUIRREL SOUP.
Wash and quarter three or four good sized squirrels; put them on, with
a small tablespoonful of salt, directly after breakfast, in a gallon
of cold water. Cover the pot close, and set it on the back part of
the stove to simmer gently, _not_ boil. Add vegetables just the same
as you do in case of other meat soups in the summer season, but
especially good will you find corn, Irish potatoes, tomatoes and Lima
beans. Strain the soup through a coarse colander when the meat has
boiled to shreds, so as to get rid of the squirrels' troublesome
little bones. Then return to the pot, and after boiling a while
longer, thicken with a piece of butter rubbed in flour. Celery and
parsley leaves chopped up are also considered an improvement by many.
Toast two slices of bread, cut them into dice one-half inch square,
fry them in butter, put them into the bottom of your tureen, and then
pour the soup boiling hot upon them. Very good.

[IMG] code is On

Gray squirrel Paddy's Pig[_6_] Garden Photos 1 05-03-2011 02:02 PM
Alister Stella Gray climbing rose Dave Poole United Kingdom 7 26-07-2004 12:03 PM
Gray Leaf Spots ?? Ray Lawns 3 04-06-2003 03:32 PM
Rosa "Alister Stella Gray" cross United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 09:56 PM
Gray fungus/mushroom Purchgdss Gardening 1 13-04-2003 07:44 AM