Old 05-05-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

Default What is 1 inch of water?

I have read that a typical vegetable garden requires 1 inch of water
per week. If i there is no rain, how can calculate the time to leave
the sprinkler on? I have a 16sqft garden. We have no water restrictions
in my area. (not yet anyway)

Old 05-05-2006, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Andy comments:

Set a can, like a Crisco can, in the yard and see how long it takes
to get an inch of water in it..... From then on, you can just leave
your
sprinklers on for that long,.,,

Bear in mind that different parts of the yard may get water at
different
rates..... You gotta use a little judgement, but the method is sound.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS It takes a LONG time for most sprinkler systems to deliver an inch
of water

Old 05-05-2006, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

Seems so obvious now that you explained it. I thought it would involve
algebra. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nicole

1 inch/per week is a good rule of thumb. Keep in mind that some veggies
need more or less water... sweet corn usually needs more water for example.
Water needs change with plant growth and weather conditions.

The 1 inch also needs to include run off and evaporation.
BTW, I use tuna cans when measurining my sprinklers.

From Ohio State
Water vegetables deeply by soaking soil to a depth of 5 to 6 inches. Apply
water at a rate of about 1/2 inch per hour to prevent runoff. If the rate of
application of a watering system is unknown, use the tests in the lawn
chapter to determine how much water is delivered.

The ideal watering system delivers the water to the soil without getting the
foliage wet. Emitter-type systems, soaker hoses and hand-held watering wands
work well.

Emitter-type or DRIP IRRIGATION systems work well with container gardens and
widely spaced vegetables like squash and melons. These systems use a series
of plastic hoses and directional devices that bring water right to the root
zone of plants. They also keep water off foliage and away from weeds that
may compete for available moisture.

These systems use about half the amount of water consumed by overhead
sprinklers. However, it takes some planning to install them correctly and
they're relatively expensive. The tubes are frequently cut when digging and
cultivating. To prevent damage to the tubes, mark their location. Mulch to
control weeds and reduce cultivating.

SOAKER HOSES release a very slow trickle of water and must be strategically
placed throughout the garden bed. These hoses keep water in the root zone
and off the leaves. They reduce loss of moisture through evaporation.

They release water to a rather restricted area depending on the soil type,
so careful placement is important. Installation does not require the
planning of emitter systems and these usually can be put in place at any
time of the season.

Soaker hoses can be buried 2 to 4 inches deep if put in place before
planting. Here, water lost to evaporation is reduced, but buried hoses may
be cut accidentally. It takes a long time for adequate water to be delivered
to the area. For that reason, it is recommended that the garden be divided
into sections so one hose does not water the entire plot.

Many larger gardens are watered by stationary or portable sprinklers. Check
uniformity of application. Overlap distribution to ensure uniformity. Raise
the oscillating-type sprinkler by placing it on some type of platform.
Although oscillating sprinklers are inexpensive and require no planning, low
water pressure and wind can make this system wasteful. Morning is the
recommended time to use this system.

http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu:16080/...ual/veg3.htm#4

ups.com...

Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

last time I looked the soaker hoses had information on them something to the effect
..... water pressure at X, Y inches per hour. These had the plastic disks in them
that lower the water pressure going into the soaker hoses. found them at lowes I
think. Ingrid

"Nicole" wrote:

1 inch/per week is a good rule of thumb. Keep in mind that some veggies
need more or less water... sweet corn usually needs more water for example.
Water needs change with plant growth and weather conditions.

The 1 inch also needs to include run off and evaporation.
BTW, I use tuna cans when measurining my sprinklers.

From Ohio State
[...]

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read that a typical vegetable garden requires 1 inch of water
per week. If i there is no rain, how can calculate the time to leave
the sprinkler on? I have a 16sqft garden. We have no water restrictions
in my area. (not yet anyway)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Registered User

Right !! they say that if you put an empty tin can onto the ground and either measure the rain or sprinkler in the can.if its an inch deep then youve had an inch of rain.An inch is helluva lot as when I was trying to gauge this after installin sprinklers it took ages to get 1/4 inch of water measured and the turf was saturated.
stuart
www.simplesprinklers.bravehost.com
Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Randy

On 2006-05-04 21:22:11 -0400, "higgledy" said:

I have read that a typical vegetable garden requires 1 inch of water
per week. If i there is no rain, how can calculate the time to leave
the sprinkler on? I have a 16sqft garden. We have no water restrictions
in my area. (not yet anyway)

Put a rain gauge in the water path. It takes a few hours to get one
inch. The same rule applies to watering grass, it needs an inch a week.