Old 05-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Registered User

Question identifying Rhodes

My late fathers passion was Rhodedendrons. The labels on most of his plants are lost or illegible. Does anyone know a really good book to identify them from pictures?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default identifying Rhodes

In message , sally pearce
writes

My late fathers passion was Rhodedendrons. The labels on most of his
plants are lost or illegible. Does anyone know a really good book to
identify them from pictures?

The RHS Plant Finder (online version) has 3829 records for the genus
Rhododendron (including 767 for Azalea). On the one hand this will
include some synonyms, but on the other hand there will be Rhododendrons
that exist, but aren't present in Plant Finder. (Elsewhere on the RHS
web site I find a reference to 850 species and 25,000 cultivars.)

Given that your father's passion was Rhododendrons then it's at least
possible that he collected some of the less well known forms.
Consequently it's unlikely that you would find a book illustrating them
all, and even if you did you may not be able to distinguish them from
the pictures. (I've got photographs of probably nearer 300 than 200
forms of Rhododendron; I can't tell them all part.)

Did he have records of what he has? If you have a list of names it would
be easier to associate names with plants. You could even Google for
images, rather than look for a book.

Also, try http://www.rhododendron.org

If you mention what type of Rhododendrons he grew - large-flowered
hybrids? "alpine" rhododendron? Azaleas? someone may be able to offer a
more focused reference.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , sally pearce
writes

[...]

Steward a question.

Years ago I saw a rhododendron with very simple flower. Was red and
about half the size of our tree peonies. This was in a formal garden on
South Carolina USA. We were tired and left with no identification.

Regretted not able to follow up and it sort of haunts me still. 20
years latter. I guess the question is what rhododendron has simple
large flowers.

Fingers crossed for a hint!

Thanks

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

[IMG] code is On

Help identifying 2 Roses Linda Roses 6 29-05-2003 05:21 AM
Battling Algae - Need help identifying RifRaf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
Help identifying....... Purchgdss Gardening 10 03-04-2003 03:20 PM
[IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild-different approach Anton Nijhuis Bonsai 0 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
identifying bamboo Lucy United Kingdom 3 06-03-2003 10:57 AM