Old 07-05-2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
martin

Default bearberry barberry

I'm in zone 4. Semishade spot, good soil. BUT my bearberry plants are
scrawny. Dead in the middle, lots of long branches extending out. I'd
like the plants to be more compact, alive in the middle, nicer looking.
Shall I prune? Mulch? Give up? Martin

Old 07-05-2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in zone 4. Semishade spot, good soil. BUT my bearberry plants are
scrawny. Dead in the middle, lots of long branches extending out. I'd
like the plants to be more compact, alive in the middle, nicer looking.
Shall I prune? Mulch? Give up? Martin

Although it should've been done earlier, you can try cutting them to within
12" of the ground, and pruning judiciously as they grow. Experimentation is
relatively safe with barberry. They're tough to kill. With those thorns,
they're likely to kill you first.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
martin

Thaks for the reply. I made a mistake. I have bearberry (sometimes I
think called bayberry) -- but I do NOT have barberry, /bearberry hugs
the ground, but should mound up and be semicompact (which miine is
not).

Old 08-05-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"martin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thaks for the reply. I made a mistake. I have bearberry (sometimes I
think called bayberry) -- but I do NOT have barberry, /bearberry hugs
the ground, but should mound up and be semicompact (which miine is
not).

Never mind, then. Obviously, you're interested in doing this right. If you
have lots of different shrubs and might want a great book for pruning, check
this out:

[IMG] code is On

bearberry barberry martin Gardening 0 07-05-2006 01:34 AM
Barberry Removal Question Bob Dierker Gardening 7 21-09-2003 03:32 PM
Barberry Removal Question David J Bockman Bonsai 0 20-09-2003 02:20 AM
bearberry Dave Gower Gardening 0 02-09-2003 12:42 AM
Redleaf barberry Lamb Chop Edible Gardening 2 24-03-2003 12:32 AM