Old 07-05-2006, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
O'boy!

Default COMPOST QUESTION???

This Spring I bought me a Compost Tumbler. I have just finished the
first batch and it looks real good (dark) and smells great.

I have tilled the compost into the ground in a small spot in my
garden, and it sure changed the texture and looks of the soil. I have
planted several different plants (tomato, pepper and etc.) to see what
they will do.

QUESTION: Do I need to use some plant food or commercial fertilizer
as well as the compost, or is the compost sufficient. I have been
using commercial fertilizer and the soil is just fair.

Thank you for your response- -O'boy!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Sun, 07 May 2006 14:31:57 -0500, O'boy! wrote:

This Spring I bought me a Compost Tumbler. I have just finished the
first batch and it looks real good (dark) and smells great.

I have tilled the compost into the ground in a small spot in my
garden, and it sure changed the texture and looks of the soil. I have
planted several different plants (tomato, pepper and etc.) to see what
they will do.

QUESTION: Do I need to use some plant food or commercial fertilizer
as well as the compost, or is the compost sufficient. I have been
using commercial fertilizer and the soil is just fair.

Thank you for your response- -O'boy!

You'll get larger plants and a better yield using fertilizers. Follow
the label directions. If possible, there is an advantage to apply the
fertilizer, till it in, then plant.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Wheeler

Although compost contains some nutrients, it's mainly a soil conditioner.

_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
news

Old 08-05-2006, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Not@home

A soil test will give you a good start on deciding what, if any, type of
fertilizer or treatment you need. Gardening takes a lot out of the soil
and your subsequent plantings will do better if you replace what has
gone. Also, you will want to study up on what the various nutrients do;
some give you very nice foliage at the expense of good fruit or vegetables.