Old 08-05-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

Default Vole control idea

To control voles around my landscaping I am thinking of filling the
cracks between my sidewalks/patio and the lawn with chicken grit. I
have seen a similar product, though much more expensive at a local
garden center. I know that voles like to burro under my sidewalks for
shelter and I know that little pebbles hurt their feet. Does anyone
have an opinion?

Old 09-05-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
ricks555

if you are looking for a humane approach, castor oil repels both moles
and voles without hurting the little critters.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I'm curious what part of the world you live. I had no idea what a Vole
was until a few years ago, when they nearly overtook a town called
Folsom, California. They are still a problem there.

They're very cute, but very destructive.

I worked for a company that had them on-site in El Dorado Hills - not
far away! The building was at the base of the Sierra Nevada foothills,
which had all sorts of wildlife. . .Deer, Mountain Lions, 5 1/2 foot
Rattlesnakes, and especially Voles.

We had a reasonably good pest control company, and they set up little
traps near entrances to the building. You know the type, they go in,
but they don't come out. There was some sort of bait within the
housing of the traps.

I'm wondering if you could put some type of bait down those holes and
tunnels you are finding around your place? That's if you don't have
pets in your yard. A safer bet might be those type of traps my company
used. I've seen them at Home Depot.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 09-05-2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Rick-
Do you put the castor oil in the holes? How is it applied?

If it doesn't hurt the little critters, does it just repel them, so
they become a problem for your neighbors instead?

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 09-05-2006, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Here is a website that talks about Vole control:

http://www.volecontrol.com

Old 09-05-2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
ricks555

Myrl,

from the post, i didn't gather that they were an infestation as much as
a nuisance. castor oil down the holes will in fact repel them. if the
problem is much bigger, a poison called Rozol, which comes in paraffin
blocks, seems to be the best. Push two inch pieces of the rozol back
into tunnels where it will stay dry - they won't eat it if it gets wet.

Voles are a Microtus species, there is an eastern variety and a
western one. The western variety feeds above the ground while the
eastern feeds on the roots and stems just under
the surface. You are correct when you say they can infest an area.
Voles reach sexual maturity in about 40 days, they have 4-5 litters of
3-6 babies per year, and they feed year round. Do the math and you can
see how a population can skyrocket.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Wow - They are prolific little critters aren't they! I've used Rozol
for mice and rats, and had good luck.

I also heard that chewing gum placed in the holes of Moles will kill
them as well. . .I don't know if you are supposed to chew it first
though;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

[IMG] code is On

Vole control Paul W. Paulsen Gardening 2 15-03-2008 02:04 AM
ingenious idea, or terribly stupid idea? Bob Texas 6 10-03-2005 12:41 AM
mole, vole smitty48 Edible Gardening 1 26-10-2003 01:32 AM
Black ratsnakes for vole control? Shiva Roses 34 18-08-2003 05:02 PM
mole,vole, ? CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 2 15-03-2003 10:20 PM