Old 10-05-2006, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
tenplay

Default Making an ugly lawn more attractive

I have a large lawn that has some broad-leaf weeds (e.g. dandelions) and
a few spots with thinning grass. At Walmart and Target I see bags of
lawn additives like Weed & Feed and Turf Builder. Will spreading one of
those products result in a more attractive lawn? Any better
alternatives? Do I have to spread lawn seed too? I live in Western
Washington state. Thanks for any advice. Mike
Old 10-05-2006, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Weed and Feed helps to control weeds. You should also fertilize at
least once a year, ideally 3 times a year (spring, summer, fall). You
should overseed in the fall if your grass is thin. You can also spot
seed areas that are bare.

Best to get a book on lawns from your local library as above is best
applied to the Northeast.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 09 May 2006 22:29:40 -0700, tenplay wrote:
I have a large lawn that has some broad-leaf weeds (e.g. dandelions) and
a few spots with thinning grass. At Walmart and Target I see bags of
lawn additives like Weed & Feed and Turf Builder. Will spreading one of
those products result in a more attractive lawn? Any better
alternatives? Do I have to spread lawn seed too? I live in Western
Washington state. Thanks for any advice. Mike

If it's like most lawns out here, it's probably in need of calcium and
fertilizer, so I'd start with a soil test, and in the meantime get your
lawnmower blade sharpened and raise the blade to the proper height for
your lawn (no fair scalping the grass and then letting it get really
shaggy and scalping it again... that's *really* tough on lawns and opens
up all sorts of spots for weeds to move in.

In the fall, I'd overseed with a good mixture.

More he http://gardening.wsu.edu/text/lawns.htm

Kay