Old 14-05-2006, 09:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gardening in an appartment

I live in an appartent - 10th floor, which is in Toronto, Canada. I am
thinking of growing three vegetables in the Flower Pots. I don't know
anything about growing. I have one flower pot, but that's about it
Right now,I want to grow tomatoes, green chilies, and mint. I am hoping

that I can grow them without using any chemical.

I did some research about growing aboved mentioned vegetables, however,

most of the advice is about growing them in a garden. Do I have worry
about same issues - like danger of frost, temperature, acid soil with
a pH, diseases, and rotating crops?

I learned that there are varities of tomatoes, geen chilies, and I am
not sure which one will be good for growing in an appartment. Also, I
like the mint avilable in indian market in Toronto, it has very nice
smell, does anyone know what's called, I would like grow that mint.

From what I understand tomatoes and other plants need rich soil. I read

that some people used left over tea-bags, water which they used to
clean vegtable & rice for enriching soil. Can I use egg shell, leafs
for it, beside tea-bags, rice water? I am not sure I can get a organic
fertilizer in Toronto. According to one site tomatoes are members of
the poisonous nightshade family, I don't suppose their leaf can be used

for soil rich?

Ps: My appartment windows are east & west, will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 15-05-2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hello, for only one pot I would only put on plant. And that plant would
be a "bush" or "patio" variety tomatoe plant. For not doing any
gardening before I would start with just the one plant. That way when
your eating your home grown tomatoes it will build confidence. As for
the soil, I would use an off the shelf potting soil. No, need to get
elaborate with the soil. As for the window, you really need to see
which gets the most amount of sun. Or just switch windows at noon.
Remember though, tomatoes are not small plants, even the bush variety.

Old 15-05-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

If Michele goes forth with this window potted vegetable thing, I hope
she will report back the results! I'm curious to see how it ends up.

I've grown herbs on a window sill, but never tried actual vegetables.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com