Old 10-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Sabaa Mundia

Default onions

hi,
i bought a bag of onions from the supermarket and kept it in my garage,
after a few days i took out an onion that had grown yellow shoots, i put it
in a container containing water. after two days the shoots have have become
nice and green.
i want to know that if plant it will i get onions growin underground or
what will happen.
thank u
sabaa

Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Sabaa Mundia wrote:

hi,
i bought a bag of onions from the supermarket and kept it in my garage,
after a few days i took out an onion that had grown yellow shoots, i put it
in a container containing water. after two days the shoots have have become
nice and green.
i want to know that if plant it will i get onions growin underground or
what will happen.
thank u
sabaa

They'll grow into bigger onions.

Onions are heavy feeders. Give them 10-10-10 or diluted 20-20-20
every couple of weeks. Harvest the bulbs when they "trip," i.e. when
the tops die down. Harvest the tops for soup any time you like.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Starlord

I grow onions all the time out here in the desert. I just plant them so the neck
is just above ground level and water them about once a week and I get nice
flowers from them too.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

"Sabaa Mundia" wrote in message
hi,
i bought a bag of onions from the supermarket and kept it in my garage,
after a few days i took out an onion that had grown yellow shoots, i put it
in a container containing water. after two days the shoots have have become
nice and green.
i want to know that if plant it will i get onions growin underground or
what will happen.
thank u
sabaa

---

Old 10-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Dwight Sipler

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote:

Sabaa Mundia wrote:
...i want to know that if plant it will i get onions growin underground or
what will happen...

They'll grow into bigger onions.

Onions are heavy feeders. Give them 10-10-10 or diluted 20-20-20
every couple of weeks. Harvest the bulbs when they "trip," i.e. when
the tops die down. Harvest the tops for soup any time you like.

Since the onion started out fairly large (or it wouldn't have been in
the supermarket), it was probably already mature. Further growth will be
to set seed, a process which will detract from the quality of the bulb.
Some onions will divide and form two or more bulbs, but you are unlikely
to get a significant increase in the volume of onion you have to eat for
the amount of work required to grow (and weed) it.

The note on fertilizer is good. They also need regular water if the
weather becomes dry (keep soil moisture up, but not soggy). A reasonable
way to judge soil moisture is to take a handful of soil and squeeze it.
If it drips water, it's too wet. If it forms a fairly solid ball, it's
good. If it won't form a ball, it's dry.

You can:
(1) eat the onion
(2) plant the onion and enjoy the flowers (or use the tops for soup as
mentioned above)

Old 10-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 01:09:08 GMT, "Sabaa Mundia"
wrote:

i bought a bag of onions from the supermarket and kept it in my garage,
after a few days i took out an onion that had grown yellow shoots, i put it
in a container containing water. after two days the shoots have have become
nice and green.
i want to know that if plant it will i get onions growin underground or
what will happen.

1 onion seed = 1 onion 'set' (very small onion) = 1 onion, (given time
and good growing conditions). They don't multiply underground like
potatoes. The only reason for a mature onion to continue to grow is to
produce seeds. You might as well plant it and observe. Chives have
attractive edible flowers at some point in their life-cycle.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

wrote:

i bought a bag of onions from the supermarket and kept it in my garage,
after a few days i took out an onion that had grown yellow shoots, i put it
in a container containing water. after two days the shoots have have become
nice and green.
i want to know that if plant it will i get onions growin underground or
what will happen.

1 onion seed = 1 onion 'set' (very small onion) = 1 onion, (given time
and good growing conditions). They don't multiply underground like
potatoes. The only reason for a mature onion to continue to grow is to
produce seeds. You might as well plant it and observe. Chives have
attractive edible flowers at some point in their life-cycle.

Shallots will multiply. Plant one bulb, and you get six.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

i bought a bag of onions from the supermarket and kept it in my garage,
after a few days i took out an onion that had grown yellow shoots, i put it
in a container containing water. after two days the shoots have have become
nice and green.
i want to know that if plant it will i get onions growin underground or
what will happen.

1 onion seed = 1 onion 'set' (very small onion) = 1 onion, (given time
and good growing conditions). They don't multiply underground like
potatoes. The only reason for a mature onion to continue to grow is to
produce seeds. You might as well plant it and observe. Chives have
attractive edible flowers at some point in their life-cycle.

Shallots will multiply. Plant one bulb, and you get six.

Maybe in *your* garden. I've never had a day's luck with them, 'though
I know they *should* increase. :-) However *wild* onion, or onion
grass flourishes, multiplies, and grows like crazy. Maybe I should
plant shallots in the lawn!

But I've never seen/heard of regular ol' supermarket eating onions
multiplying in the ground. I suppose it's possible, and perhaps if
Sabaa will report back...
Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

Frogleg wrote:

... But I've never seen/heard of regular ol' supermarket eating onions
multiplying in the ground...

I've never tried it with one from the supermarket, but the onions I grow
for eating sometimes double during normal growth. What usually happens
is that you get two ring structures inside of one bulb, the rings being
flattened on the common side. If left to sprout, you will get two
separate sprouts. I don't recall ever seeing three or more. I don't
recommend counting on this as a way to produce more onions from a single
one, since it's sporadic. Moreover, starting with a mature onion (as
opposed to an onion set) will only encourage flowering and seeding
rather than bulb growth. I generally start my onions from seed.

Shallots started from seed produce mostly single bulbs. Shallot bulbs
planted produce mostly multiple bulbs, numbers ranging from 2 to 5.