Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-05-2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Question about Sweet Peas and Forget Me Not

I have a couple of seed packets I'm trying to decide how/where to plant.

1. The sweet pea packet says they are five feet, annual; I know that
means none next year unless I plant more seeds. Will they cling to a
brick wall? Will they spiral climb like pole beans? I was thinking of
putting them around my ugly telephone poles, but if they need strings, I
don't know if that will go over with the phone company. Not that I care
a whole lot. Otherwise I'm going to have to rig up a trellis or some
kind of strings for them to climb on. If I have to put them on the east
side of the house which has the most room, will they bloom with only
half a day of sun?

2. The Forget Me Not packet has the usual, says it's a bienniel. Does
that mean it takes until the second year to flower? What happens after
that? Does it self seed or come back from the roots every year
thereafter if all goes well? Also do they have to have sun all day or
could I put them on the east side of the house?

I don't have a whole lot of room for plants that require full sun right
now unless I dig up part of the front yard for a cottage garden, but it
won't be this year.

Thanks for any advice.