Old 10-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Polar

Default Japanese Maple....its official

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 23:30:33 -0400, Requester wrote:

well after noticing one of my newly planted jpm's was dying. i believe it was from over watering. so i stop watering it soo much. well just as it seem to be getting a tad better what do you know we in atlanta get a week of heavy rains, cold and fog.

the tree looks completely dead now.
guess i should dig it up and trash it hopefully i can find another. they been sold out for about two weeks at every store we checked.

Have you tested by scraping your thumb along a twig to see if there's
green under there?

Or break off a twig to check for green?

Don't be too hasty. I've learned the hard way to be patient;
sometimes it takes the plant weeks or even longer to come back, but
when it does, what a rush!

--
Polar
Old 10-04-2003, 07:56 AM
JNJ

well after noticing one of my newly planted jpm's was dying. i believe it
was from
over watering. so i stop watering it soo much. well just as it seem to

be getting a tad
better what do you know we in atlanta get a week of heavy rains, cold and

fog. the
tree looks completely dead now. guess i should dig it up and trash it

hopefully i
can find another. they been sold out for about two weeks at every store

we
checked.

Nah -- don't be so negative. Give it a little more time. If there's still
green under the skin, then it's still alive just may be in a bit of a bad
place.

You may want to pull this one out and transplant it in an appropriately
large pot for a bit -- give it decent soil (I like Miracle Gro meself) and
fertilizer, baby it a bit. It may surprise you and come back. You'll need
to prune dead branches and such as well but I wouldn't do that right away
regardless of which way you go. FWIW, this is what I would do (and have
done with a few others of my plants -- got three azaleas out there right now
that I've been working on for about a year).

James

Old 11-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Polar

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:49:24 -0400, Requester wrote:

i broke off a twig and its very green inside. i guess this mean its still alive?

Yay! Hang in there, babes!

Cut back on the water if you really think they've had too much. Way
to tell: Ye Olde Finger Teste. Stick a digit in and see how far down
it's dry.

Cheering for your jpm!

Old 11-04-2003, 05:20 AM
JNJ

i broke off a twig and its very green inside. i guess this mean its still
alive?

That's is likely an accurate assessment.

Give it another month, see what it does. Back off on the watering. If it
still looks dreadful at the end of a month, then dig it up and put it into a
pot for a little TLC.

James

Old 11-04-2003, 05:44 AM
BiG Orange

"JNJ" wrote in message
i broke off a twig and its very green inside. i guess this mean its

still
alive?

That's is likely an accurate assessment.

Give it another month, see what it does. Back off on the watering. If it
still looks dreadful at the end of a month, then dig it up and put it into

pot for a little TLC.

James

Isn't it true that many graphed trees need moist soil, but not too wet when
they are first planted?

Old 11-04-2003, 05:20 PM
JNJ

Isn't it true that many graphed trees need moist soil, but not too wet
when
they are first planted?

With few exceptions, I give all of my plants a solid drenching when they
first go into the ground. Most trees require a good amount of attention
(water-wise) during the first month or so, depending on weather.

James