Old 18-05-2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Reel Mower: Sunlawn MM-1

Hi,

Sunlawn (www.sunlawn.com), the company that has the rights to import
the Brills in North America, released this year their own Reel
Mowers...

Is there anybody that purchased one of their new model MM1 or EM1?

According to technical specifications, Sunlawn's models have same
features as the Brills Luxus (heavier but a little more cheaper and
with a 2 years warranty).

I'm actually looking for which model I should buy and I would like to
choose between the Brill Luxus 38 or the Sunlawn MM1.

Thanks!

Chris

Old 18-05-2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin

wrote:

Hi,

Sunlawn (
www.sunlawn.com), the company that has the rights to import
the Brills in North America, released this year their own Reel
Mowers...

Is there anybody that purchased one of their new model MM1 or EM1?

According to technical specifications, Sunlawn's models have same
features as the Brills Luxus (heavier but a little more cheaper and
with a 2 years warranty).

I'm actually looking for which model I should buy and I would like to
choose between the Brill Luxus 38 or the Sunlawn MM1.

Thanks!

Chris

I got a Brill and can report that there are kinds of grass that it
simply doesn't work on (instead, the reel locks up as the blades get
wedged in the cutting bar).

On grass that it works on, it's great. On mixed grasses, it's awful,
next to useless.

I went to Great Lakes (they also make Scott's line) and that's better.
This line has the flaw that it responds to heavy going by lifting
over the grass and leaving a clump of long grass where it can't cut
easily. On the other hand, it's as a result easy to push.

I finally put all my reel mowers in the basement and went to a scythe,
which works with no hassle. It merely takes a long time, but what
the hell, it's a hobby. Go out and cut a couple of 10' swaths down
the lawn each day, and soon the lawn is done and needs starting over.
You always have a way to take a break.

(Scythe : http://www.scythesupply.com is the only kind (European
soft-steel) to get. The American ``stamped'' blades won't work long
on a lawn.)

--
Ron Hardin