Old 19-05-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul E. Lehmann

Default Elderberry Variety

Does anyone have any experience growing Elderberries? My main interest is in using them to make wine. There are three varieties handled by Edible Landscaping. They are Adams, Johns and Nova. They also cary three Eupopean varieties, Cut Leaf Elder, Variegated Elderberry and Black Beauty.
Old 19-05-2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Let's see. I got Adams only, because there are enough wild ones around
I did not need a second for pollination. Although it is listed by EL as
good for shade, in the shade (I was hoping it would grow above the
house shadow eventually, so as to get a white bloom show in front of
the house in June) it did poorly. I took 3 cuttings/suckers from it
before it died, and those cuttings are now growing vigorously in a
place with poor, well drained soil that gets sun from sunrise until
1pm. I gave it no special care.

No berries yet. They are probably fairly strong, undemanding plants so
long as they get decent sun. They seem happy with clay or sand,moist or
well drained. I have another elderberry behind the garage, a full grown
15 ft bush, and my guess is that you need several plants to get wine.
You can buy several, or buy two (one for pollination) and keep
propagating the suckers as they appear. It is going to take a few years
for you to get enough berries.

[IMG] code is On

Elderberry Cutting Steve Newport United Kingdom 16 12-09-2008 04:01 AM
Elderberry bush? Allview Gardening 13 04-06-2005 05:29 PM
Elderberry wick with blackfly! Pip United Kingdom 14 01-06-2004 11:18 AM
Elderberry wine & twitch MDHJWH Australia 1 27-10-2003 09:32 AM
Elderberry Jabber United Kingdom 9 02-05-2003 06:57 PM