Old 24-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Steve Newport

Default Elderberry Cutting

What is the best way to take a cutting from a wild elderbeery tree to
plant into the garden?
Old 24-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Martin Brown

Steve Newport wrote:

What is the best way to take a cutting from a wild elderbeery tree to
plant into the garden?

Don't?!? You will live to regret it in a normal sized garden. Bird lime
with added elderberry is an astonishingly powerful dye.

Buy one of the less vigorous cultivars like dissecta or variagate from a
garden centre. Or find someone who already has a wild one and ask them
to pay you to take away a few hundred of the seedlings that come up
every year. It grows fast enough you don't need to take cuttings.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Jupiter

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:49:55 GMT, Steve Newport
wrote:

What is the best way to take a cutting from a wild elderbeery tree to
plant into the garden?

Aaargh! Horrible invasive things with a rank smell that make a
terrible mess. Very nice in a wild hedgerow. Best left there.

Old 25-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Spider

wrote:

What is the best way to take a cutting from a wild elderbeery tree to
plant into the garden?

Aaargh! Horrible invasive things with a rank smell that make a
terrible mess. Very nice in a wild hedgerow. Best left there.

Perhaps Steve would like a wild hedgerow complete with elderberry. They
*are* somewhat invasive, though. I wanted elderberry for my woodland garden
but, as another poster suggested, I got two different cultivated forms. The
nearest to the wild form (of those I have) is Sambucus nigra variegata.
Perfectly good plant for wildlife.

Certainly there's no need for cuttings. I suspect, anyway, that they would
not 'take' very well due to the hollow-stem contruction. Seed is quite the
best way to start off the wild form, if that is still wanted. Once
germinated, they'll grow so fast you'll think you fed them with rocket fuel.
Don't though. :~))

Spider

Old 25-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Kay

In article , Spider
writes

Perhaps Steve would like a wild hedgerow complete with elderberry. They
*are* somewhat invasive, though. I wanted elderberry for my woodland garden
but, as another poster suggested, I got two different cultivated forms. The
nearest to the wild form (of those I have) is Sambucus nigra variegata.
Perfectly good plant for wildlife.

Certainly there's no need for cuttings. I suspect, anyway, that they would
not 'take' very well due to the hollow-stem contruction. Seed is quite the
best way to start off the wild form, if that is still wanted. Once
germinated, they'll grow so fast you'll think you fed them with rocket fuel.
Don't though. :~))

I suspect the invasiveness may depend on conditions. Elder grows well
round here, and comprises anything up to 50 per cent of the various
scraps of woodland hereabouts. But although my neighbour has one in our
boundary hedge, I am not troubled at all by seedlings - which is more
than can be said for ash!

--
Kay

Old 25-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Certainly there's no need for cuttings. I suspect, anyway, that they would
not 'take' very well due to the hollow-stem contruction. Seed is quite the
best way to start off the wild form, if that is still wanted. Once
germinated, they'll grow so fast you'll think you fed them with rocket fuel.
Don't though. :~))

They do make very good 'instant' bonsai trees though. As soon as I get
the digital camera installed I'll post a pic.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-05-2005, 07:33 PM
andrewpreece

"Steve Newport" wrote in message
What is the best way to take a cutting from a wild elderbeery tree to
plant into the garden?

Cut a bit off, stick it in the ground the right way up. It worked for me.

Andy.

Old 26-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Tim Tyler

Steve Newport wrote or quoted:

What is the best way to take a cutting from a wild elderbeery tree to
plant into the garden?

Put it into a pot - or make sure you have budgeted for a chainsaw.
--
__________
Old 28-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Steve Newport contains these words:

What is the best way to take a cutting from a wild elderbeery tree to
plant into the garden?

I've got lots of seedlings - want one?

Old 29-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Steve Newport

Thanks for all your comments. Most interesting.

Did realise the old elderberry tree was so hardy and tenacious. I have
a couple of trees on farms sites where I have bees, but wanted one in
the garden where I could cultivate my own specifically for poducing
jelly and wine.

Do the two cultivated varieties produces good crops of edible fruit?

Thanks very much
Steve Newport

Old 01-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Spider

Steve Newport wrote in message
Thanks for all your comments. Most interesting.

Did realise the old elderberry tree was so hardy and tenacious. I have
a couple of trees on farms sites where I have bees, but wanted one in
the garden where I could cultivate my own specifically for poducing
jelly and wine.

Do the two cultivated varieties produces good crops of edible fruit?

Thanks very much
Steve Newport

Hi Steve,

I get a reasonable amount of fruit on my Sambucus nigra variegata. I prune
mine to keep it within bounds, but if you've got room to let yours spread,
you'll obviously get more flowers and fruit - give or take the odd beak!

I also grow one of the cut-leaf golden foliage forms. The cultivar has
'Sutherland' in the title. (Sorry, that's the best I can remember). It's a
pretty decorative form, but not so reliable for berries, in my experience.

Spider

Old 04-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from sarasara contains these words:

SpiderDoes it make good privacy hedging in winter? I have a good spot
I could
plant but to hide a farmyard from my garden?
thanks,

No. It drops allits leaves and the woodwork is not very crowded.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Registered User

Talking

Thank you very much Spider. I am trying to find something that grows only to 8/10 feet and gives a privacy screen in winter.
Thanks,
Sara.

Elderberry Variety Paul E. Lehmann Gardening 1 19-05-2006 10:40 PM
Elderberry bush? Allview Gardening 13 04-06-2005 05:29 PM
Elderberry wick with blackfly! Pip United Kingdom 14 01-06-2004 11:18 AM
Elderberry wine & twitch MDHJWH Australia 1 27-10-2003 09:32 AM
Elderberry Jabber United Kingdom 9 02-05-2003 06:57 PM