Old 20-05-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Everything but beans growing good - why?

I planted a bunch of stuff over the last 4 weeks or so. I am wondering if I
planted beans too soon? I have squash, cukes, and tomatoes in the ground
doing well, but my beans either germinated poorly, or died after
germinating. I have them in seperate plots also, and all of them did poorly.
I'm in the mid Willamette Valley, Lebanon, Oregon. Is it too early to plant
beans?

Old 20-05-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
news
I planted a bunch of stuff over the last 4 weeks or so. I am wondering if I
planted beans too soon? I have squash, cukes, and tomatoes in the ground
doing well, but my beans either germinated poorly, or died after
germinating. I have them in seperate plots also, and all of them did
poorly. I'm in the mid Willamette Valley, Lebanon, Oregon. Is it too early
to plant beans?

Dig up some of the seeds and see if they rotted. They want the soil to be
quite warm when they're planted, or they can rot before they germinate.

Old 21-05-2006, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
news
I planted a bunch of stuff over the last 4 weeks or so. I am wondering if
I planted beans too soon? I have squash, cukes, and tomatoes in the ground
doing well, but my beans either germinated poorly, or died after
germinating. I have them in seperate plots also, and all of them did
poorly. I'm in the mid Willamette Valley, Lebanon, Oregon. Is it too early
to plant beans?

Dig up some of the seeds and see if they rotted. They want the soil to be
quite warm when they're planted, or they can rot before they germinate.

Hm, I can't really tell. However, it's not been that warm. Mostly cloudy and
rainy. We had a dry spell where the soil *finally* dried to the point where
I could dig it, but it wasn't that warm. So I'm thinking I just planted too
early. Can I expect my corn to do the same? I risked a small plot of corn,
3 rows, 8 feet long, to see if it would grow.

I gather squash and tomatoes can tolerate cooler weather? My squash and
tomatoes are doing well (I thought I'd risk a half dozen squash and cukes to
see if I could get an early start with them). Well - actually, we had a late
surprise frost, before the squash/cukes/beans had germinated, and I lost 3
tomatoes. Everything else I have is cold weather stuff that is growing just
fine.

Old 21-05-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

[...]

If the other stuff is growing, then you're lucky. Next year, if you want to
get a jump on the season, put down some clear plastic a couple of weeks
ahead. Stick your hand down in the soil from time to time and see if it
feels better than soil nearby without plastic on it. And, you might consider
getting a copy of an old book called "Crockett's Victory Garden", by James
Crockett. Each chapter represents a month, and his planting advice is quite
accurate. He worked in Boston, which may be ahead of or behind your planting
zone. But, it's easy to use his advice, and make adjustments based on the
planting zone map.

www.powells.com usually has copies of this book in decent condition.

Old 21-05-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
news I planted a bunch of stuff over the last 4 weeks or so. I am wondering if
[...]

Good advice and a great book. I have it in front of me as I was looking
for an ISBN #. Doesn't have one.

Perhaps the OP may want a day trip to

http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/

Bill who used to place bushel baskets on tender plants on surprise
cool nights.

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 21-05-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention that Crockett's advice on chemicals should be avoided
completely. The guy was over the top! I wonder if that's what killed him.

Old 22-05-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 20 May 2006 13:28:05 -0700, Matthew Reed wrote:
I planted a bunch of stuff over the last 4 weeks or so. I am wondering if I
planted beans too soon? I have squash, cukes, and tomatoes in the ground
doing well, but my beans either germinated poorly, or died after
germinating. I have them in seperate plots also, and all of them did poorly.
I'm in the mid Willamette Valley, Lebanon, Oregon. Is it too early to plant
beans?

I'm higher in elevation than you, but the soil here is still too cold for
beans -- stick a thermometer in the soil. Suggestion: stop by the library
(or buy your own) for a copy of Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades,
by Steve Solomon. I think you'll find it quite helpful.

Kay