Old 27-05-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
potesta

Default Grub pesticides and vegetable gardens

I am new to gardening and I'm new to western MI. It seems we have a
grub problem in our lawn (we moved in to a 45 year old home and yard).
The problem is that my wife and I already started our vegetable garden
about 5 or 10 feet from where the grub problem seems to be. Is it safe
to put down pesticide that will get rid of the grubs that close to a
vegetable garden?

Old 27-05-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"potesta" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to gardening and I'm new to western MI. It seems we have a
grub problem in our lawn (we moved in to a 45 year old home and yard).
The problem is that my wife and I already started our vegetable garden
about 5 or 10 feet from where the grub problem seems to be. Is it safe
to put down pesticide that will get rid of the grubs that close to a
vegetable garden?

Absolutely not. Get out your yellow pages, find "garden centers", get on the
phone and find out who sells one of the biological controls. These are
bacterial agents that infect the grubs and kill them. They're harmless to
humans. They can affect fish and (if I recall), bees, so read the label
carefully. Bacillus thuringensis used to be one of the products, but there
may be later hybrids now.