Old 27-05-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Default Water runs thru hanging basket w/o wetting the soil

It was nice and wet a few days ago and today it's dry and wilty.
(Nasturtium seedlings; they don't shade the surface yet.) The basket is
hanging in bright shade and gets a little sun early in the morning.

Would spraying the surface with a little soapy water help?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 27-05-2006, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:08:14 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

It was nice and wet a few days ago and today it's dry and wilty.
(Nasturtium seedlings; they don't shade the surface yet.) The basket is
hanging in bright shade and gets a little sun early in the morning.

Would spraying the surface with a little soapy water help?

Thanks,
Bob

That should work Bob. When I did nursery work we would soak the baskets
in a bucket or tub untill they re-wetted themselves. That's a funny
looking sentence.... guess I need more coffee!

--
http://resources.ywgc.com/info/
Old 27-05-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
It was nice and wet a few days ago and today it's dry and wilty.
(Nasturtium seedlings; they don't shade the surface yet.) The basket is
hanging in bright shade and gets a little sun early in the morning.

Would spraying the surface with a little soapy water help?

Thanks,
Bob

It may be better to soak the basket in a tub of water until it's thoroughly
soaked. I replaced all my baskets with hanging plastic pots. They're much
easier to water and stay damp longer.

Old 28-05-2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Lucky wrote:
Mindful wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
It was nice and wet a few days ago and today it's dry and wilty.
(Nasturtium seedlings; they don't shade the surface yet.) The basket is
hanging in bright shade and gets a little sun early in the morning.

Would spraying the surface with a little soapy water help?

Thanks,
Bob

It may be better to soak the basket in a tub of water until it's thoroughly
soaked. I replaced all my baskets with hanging plastic pots. They're much
easier to water and stay damp longer.

Yes, that's excellent advice.

Soil is like a sponge.

Place a completely dry sponge under the faucet and it takes a long
while before it absorbs water.

Place a slighly damp sponge under the faucet and it immediately takes
up water.

This is a property of surface tension in water, where water molecules
attract other water molecules, in effect pulling water into the
sponge/soil.

That's why I mentioned the soap.

Soaking the pot in a bucket of water, or even the kitchen sink will do
the trick.

I can do that now, while the plants are small. Once they are streaming
three feet over the sides, it won't be practical.

I watered them from the top this morning and most of the water just ran
through. But I checked it a couple of hours later and the little bit of
water that had soaked in had spread all throughout the soil, and it was
receptive to more water now.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 28-05-2006, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
It was nice and wet a few days ago and today it's dry and wilty.
(Nasturtium seedlings; they don't shade the surface yet.) The basket is
hanging in bright shade and gets a little sun early in the morning.

Would spraying the surface with a little soapy water help?

Thanks,
Bob

After the plant shades the soil, you may find it still gets bone dry if it's
in the sun all day. Hanging baskets, in general, are about half as large as
they should be.

Old 29-05-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

it is a good idea to place a high absorbent diaper on the bottom. it has those water
holding crystals and the plastic facing down. the watering will hold better. Ingrid

zxcvbob wrote:

It was nice and wet a few days ago and today it's dry and wilty.
(Nasturtium seedlings; they don't shade the surface yet.) The basket is
hanging in bright shade and gets a little sun early in the morning.

Would spraying the surface with a little soapy water help?

Thanks,
Bob

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/