Old 29-05-2006, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Default Hanging pots Penunias

Hanging pots of petunias require much water, but how much miracle grow?
Yestersday we soaked the pot (for 35 minutes) as they felt dry.

It is in a typical plastic white hanging pot with slots for drainage.
Also should we change the soil or is miracle grow going to provide
enough nourishment?
Thanks.
Bette

Old 29-05-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Bette wrote:
Hanging pots of petunias require much water, but how much miracle grow?
Yestersday we soaked the pot (for 35 minutes) as they felt dry.

It is in a typical plastic white hanging pot with slots for drainage.
Also should we change the soil or is miracle grow going to provide
enough nourishment?
Thanks.
Bette

Hi again Bette. As you have seen on my web site I have LOTS of hanging
baskets (over 50 this year) and I like to grow the cascade petunias in
many of them. As for watering, it depends on what you grow them in.
Most potting mixes have a high content of peat and they dry out fairly
quickly. Some of the potting mixtures have some sort of "moisture
control" and they retain moisture longer. They are the ones to use for
hanging baskets. Still, even with moisture control, I find that they
need to be watered at least daily during very hot weather. I like to
use the "slow release" fertilizers because they only need to be used
several times a season. Later in the season (mid July in your area) it
is a good idea to give your petunias a good hair cut. Trimming them
back a few inches helps them develop new growth and you will have more
blooms later on.

I am going out to the garden now (have to do some weeding). I'll take
some pictures and, if I get a chance, I will post them in
news:alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and, for some of them, on my web site.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 29-05-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Bill R wrote:
Hi again Bette. As you have seen on my web site I have LOTS of hanging
baskets (over 50 this year) and I like to grow the cascade petunias in
many of them. As for watering, it depends on what you grow them in.
Most potting mixes have a high content of peat and they dry out fairly
quickly. Some of the potting mixtures have some sort of "moisture
control" and they retain moisture longer. They are the ones to use for
hanging baskets. Still, even with moisture control, I find that they
need to be watered at least daily during very hot weather. I like to
use the "slow release" fertilizers because they only need to be used
several times a season. Later in the season (mid July in your area) it
is a good idea to give your petunias a good hair cut. Trimming them
back a few inches helps them develop new growth and you will have more
blooms later on.

Again thanks for your info. Very halpful.
Bette