Old 29-05-2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mama Bear

Default Hortilux Blue MH?

Has anyone here used the Hortilux Blue MH lamps?

I have a plant stand on a south side window, the only available
window for it in this house. It gets decent sunlight from about
September through mid-April, then it loses it.

I'm presenly using a dual F40T12 fixture to cover two shelves of
gloxinias and one kalanchoe that someone gave me, but has never
bloomed indoors due to the low light. The top shelf is doing ok
but not the bottom.

I'm thinking of switching to a 150 watt MH lamp and fixture. I
read at http://www.futuregarden.com/lighting...ing_lamps.html
that the Hortilux Blue is supposed to be really good, but do they
make them in 150 watts? I don't think I need 400 watts, and all
that expense, I can't afford it, just to cover a couple of plant
stand shelves. ( a 4' long and maybe 14" wide area altogether )

Does Hortilux make the Blue MH in 150 watt?

Or other cost effective suggestions for me?

Thanks!

--
- Mama Bear
Old 29-05-2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Mama Bear wrote:
[...]

What kind of lamps do you have in the F40T12 fixtures? Especially in
the bottom fixture. How old are the lamps?

I recommend changing the ballasts in your existing fixtures to
electronic ballasts for F32T8 lamps. Try to get one with a ballast with
a ballast factor (bf) greater than 1. Don't confuse this with the power
factor, which you don't care about in this application. The new ballast
will cost you about $20.

I've found that plants really like Philips ALTO 830 series F32T8 lamps,
and they are cheap (like, $3 per lamp.) GE and Sylvania also make very
similar lamps. The lamps should last over 20000 hours and unlike F40T12
lamps and MH lamps, they retain 90% of their brightness all the way to
the end.

Bob
Old 30-05-2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Butzmark

On Mon, 29 May 2006 16:26:32 -0500, Mama Bear
wrote:

[...]

I've used a generic 400W metal Halide the last few years to start
garden plants in the spring. As the bulb was getting old I went with a
new Hortilux blue. I've never had such sturdy plants. The jump from
flouresent to NH was huge, but this was a big jump too.

Old 30-05-2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Deb Hayes

someone must be having trouble finding their decimal points, yes?

Deb

"Mama Bear" wrote in message
Hey look at some of the prices on these things!
http://shopping.msn.com/results/shp/...0&av=2-4514268

$1,449,500.00

$2,199,500.00

A little pricey, eh? ;-)

Old 30-05-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Mama Bear wrote:
zxcvbob wrote :

Mama Bear wrote:
[...]

I only have one fixture with 2 - 48" tubes. They're fairly new
lamps. One is the purple kind of tube and the other is more like
a Chroma 50. I don't want to have to take them out to look. But
these things put out in the neighborhood of 2000 lumens each and
a MH bulb, I understand, would be at least 4x that, even a 150
watt one?

I recommend changing the ballasts in your existing fixtures to
electronic ballasts for F32T8 lamps. Try to get one with a
ballast with a ballast factor (bf) greater than 1. Don't
confuse this with the power factor, which you don't care about
in this application. The new ballast will cost you about $20.

I thought of that, but T8 tubes are hard to find in grow lights
aren't they? Home Depot said all they had was FS T8's.

The 3000k lamps work great; about as good as grow lights.

I've found that plants really like Philips ALTO 830 series
F32T8 lamps, and they are cheap (like, $3 per lamp.) GE and
Sylvania also make very similar lamps. The lamps should last
over 20000 hours and unlike F40T12 lamps and MH lamps, they
retain 90% of their brightness all the way to the end.

Still, I only have that one dual tube fixture hanging from the
ceiling over the plant stand.

I thought you meant you had one fixture *right over each shelf* (that's
what I have and I start my peppers and tomatoes and flowers under them
every year)

Bob

Old 30-05-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Hines

Mama Bear wrote:

A little pricey, eh? ;-)

Some of them are multi head (bulb) units.

Try these folks, they are who I buy from

http://www.altgarden.com

a 250w unit is pretty reasonable. Plain MH bulbs in 250w or less are
much cheaper at a big box store, since they are used commercially.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.