Old 30-05-2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default What is wrong with my fruit tree?

I have a large apple tree in my back yard. A few weeks ago it was covered
with blossoms, looked good. Leaves started to grow. Now, the leaves appear
to wither at the end of the growing tips and in some cases die. Here is a
good pic of what it looks like. Any idea what would cause it, and what I can
do? The tree is large, old, but has good apples and I would hate to loose
it.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3032.jpg

Here is the entire tree:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF2811.jpg

I also have a pear tree that appears to not be thriving. The leaves are
curling, and it just sits there. Here is a pic of that. There appears some
insect damage, is that significant? My other pear trees look fine.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%20May%20Garden%201/

Good pear tree:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3044.jpg

Lastly - I think this is a cherry - the growing tips have stopped growing,
looks like this:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF3045.jpg

I have about 10 other fruit trees that are doing well, it's just these 3
that are having problems.

FWIW, I picked the first handfull of radishes and an onion today. Ummmm! Ate
them on the spot...ahh....fresh veggies from the garden. Hours and hours of
backbreaking work for a half dozen radishes and an onion LOL. But it's only
the beginning....

And if you want to see my humble garden in all it's glory :-)

Old 30-05-2006, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Matthew,

Check the underside of the leaves for signs of very tiny animals called
mites. They
can cause this kind of problem. I have seen them on my trees this year where
they
formerly were not a problem. Could be the damp and cold Spring, plus an absence

of their natural preditors, lady bugs and wasps. You can spray with a general
insecticide to kill them. Also, they are pushed up your tree by ants, who use
the mites as 'slaves' to gather the nectar from the tree. Try a band of
'Tanglefoot' sticky
gue around anything supporting the tree, including the trunk. That will stop
the ants
from their devious little game.

Sherwin D.