Old 05-06-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ted S

Default Need advice on trimming back Rhodos for a fence

I planted about 10 small rhodos years ago on my side of the property line
between my and my neighbors common back yard. The plants are now six to
nine feet high and spread a bit over the line onto my neighbors side. The
plants are beautiful and made a great natural yard divider but they now
want to install a fence and we have to cut back some of the rhodos on
their side.

There's nothing I can do about this, but I was looking for advise on how
and where to prune and if there are things to do or to avoid doing to
minimize shock and damage to the plants. I gave the plants some HollyTone
about two or three weeks ago.

I have about two weeks (until mid June) to prune. Flowering is done and
I'm in South Jersey.

Thanks!

Ted
Old 06-06-2006, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"Ted S" wrote:

I planted about 10 small rhodos years ago on my side of the property line
between my and my neighbors common back yard. The plants are now six to
nine feet high and spread a bit over the line onto my neighbors side. The
plants are beautiful and made a great natural yard divider but they now
want to install a fence and we have to cut back some of the rhodos on
their side.

There's nothing I can do about this, but I was looking for advise on how
and where to prune and if there are things to do or to avoid doing to
minimize shock and damage to the plants. I gave the plants some HollyTone
about two or three weeks ago.

I have about two weeks (until mid June) to prune. Flowering is done and
I'm in South Jersey.

Now is the time to do it. If you wait until mid-summer you will loose
next year's flowers. I would start by putting stretching a string line
where you need to prune. Prune just inside that line. Then go back and
prune a little more to make the plants a little more presentable. You
don't want large limbs to go up to the fence and stop. To make it
easier on yourself, I would leave enough room so you can get between the
plant and the fence to prune the plant to keep it from growing through
the fence.

If the plants are otherwise healthy, your applying fertilizer doesn't
serve much purpose. It is forcing the plant to produce new growth that
will be cut off. Since it is early in the season, the plant will regain
the strength it spends on this activity.

For more info on pruning rhododendrons, visit:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman3...#anchor1078039
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ted S

Thanks for the Rhodo pruning advise. I will take your advise and do it as
soon as possible although
I don't see how it will matter if the side I prune will not have flowers
next year
since it will the side against a fence (and facing the neighbors, not my
side).

Ted

Old 06-06-2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"Ted S" wrote:

Thanks for the Rhodo pruning advise. I will take your advise and do it as
soon as possible although I don't see how it will matter if the side I
prune will not have flowers next year since it will the side against a
fence (and facing the neighbors, not my side).

Forming flower buds takes energy away from the plant. If you prune
before the buds are formed, you will get a much nicer plant facing your
side of the fence, denser foliage and more bigger flowers.