Old 11-06-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
DM

Default Sick tree - Help please!

This tree doesn't seem to be very healthy.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~ThePlayer/IMGP1684-1.jpg

There was a lot of dead wood on it that I cut away and then applied Seal and
Heal to the exposed cut surfaces. I also applied it to the area of decay on
the trunk, pictured here........

http://homepage.eircom.net/~ThePlayer/IMGP1679-1.jpg

My neighbour says that it isn't flowering like it used to (we only moved in
six months ago). The flower is pictured here.........

http://homepage.eircom.net/~ThePlayer/IMGP1683-1.jpg

Apologies for the image quality. The flower is bone dry and crumbly.

We really like this tree. It is the perfect natural sun umbrella. We sit
under it all the time. What can I do to revive it?

Many thanks.

D.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

It's a sumac and if it were my tree I would get that goop off
immediately. Dressing wounds and covering decay promotes more of the
same. Some years it flowers well, some doesn't, but it's pretty
invasive in my yard. I have at least 25 saplings around the main tree
which I have to dig out and pot up for sale.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

I think your tree is a staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina). If so, since it's a
rather fast growing plant, I'm not surprised that you have some dead
branches -- and maybe it's not really "sick" afterall. I usually see it
growing as a suckering shrub along the freeway in these parts. Since it
suckers readily, when grown as a shrub it can be cut back to the ground to
rejuvenate it. Check out these 2 sites for more info:
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-59.pdf and
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...s_typhina.html

Hope this helps!
Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Old 12-06-2006, 08:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
DM

Many thanks to both of you!

Denis