Old 14-06-2006, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Darren

Default Tomatos - pinch suckers? Let them sprawl?

We typically pinch the suckers out of our plants. Also, for good sturdy
tomato cages that will last you a while, try concrete reinforcement
wire. The holes are 6X6 so it makes retrieving the fruit much easier
and allows for maintenance on the plants.

I've tomato cages made of concrete wire that are over 10 years old. No
staking required, they spear into the ground rather easily and stand
well on their own.

D.

Hot and Humid Kentucky

Old 15-06-2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

brsher wrote:

By "pinching suckers" do you mean cutting them? Can you safely do this even
when they have grown fairly big?

Yes, just cut them off at the joint where they start. It is best to cut
them off when they are small but it won't hurt the plant if you cut them
off when they are longer. As I mentioned in another post you can plant
them and they will develop into plants that have (usually) a good yield.
This time of year it is best to plant them "sideways" (i.e. dig a
small trench and put them in the trench, cover with dirt, and just let
the top of the plant stick out). Tomatoes planted that way will root
better and will have a higher yield).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years