Old 13-06-2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help - sunflower leaeves being eaten

Hi,

Our daughter is growing a sunflower that she started in preschool. It
is one of those giant sunflowers.

So far the plant does not seem to be doing very well. It is tall, but
the leaves are being eaten by something. I don't see any bugs, but
there are small holes on the leaves.

It is pretty tall and has a good size stem, but very few leaves at this
point, and the new ones keep getting eaten by something. The plant is
almost 2 feet tall now.

Should I spray this plant with something? I'm not a big gardener so
I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to do to try and revive this
plant.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 13-06-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Our daughter is growing a sunflower that she started in preschool. It
is one of those giant sunflowers.

So far the plant does not seem to be doing very well. It is tall, but
the leaves are being eaten by something. I don't see any bugs, but
there are small holes on the leaves.

It is pretty tall and has a good size stem, but very few leaves at this
point, and the new ones keep getting eaten by something. The plant is
almost 2 feet tall now.

Should I spray this plant with something? I'm not a big gardener so
I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to do to try and revive this
plant.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

1) Have you checked under the leaves to see if anyone's hanging on &
munching? Do this at night, too, with a flashlight.

2) Think of the leaf with the worst damage. Can you guess as to what
percentage of surface area is eaten?