Old 14-06-2006, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bruce

Default Looking for plant suggestions...

I live in northern california (east bay area) and have a yard I want to
plant.

I am looking for something that is low maintance. (I do have sprinklers, so
they do not have to be drought tolerant)

I have one area that I need ground cover (about 55 ft x 15 and sloping, so I
can not mow) I would like to have several selections for this area.

I also have an area around my deck (about 4 ft all the way around)
I would like to have something I do not have to replant every year,
something that has some color, not a lot of trimming etc I would prefer some
thing that does not attract bees, but does butterflies

I do plan on some cala lillies, some ferns, some jade and gardinia (well....
I just love them) and some jasmine.

Thanks
Bruce

Old 14-06-2006, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:19:09 -0700, "Bruce"
wrote:

I live in northern california (east bay area) and have a yard I want to
plant.

I am looking for something that is low maintance. (I do have sprinklers, so
they do not have to be drought tolerant)

I have one area that I need ground cover (about 55 ft x 15 and sloping, so I
can not mow) I would like to have several selections for this area.

I also have an area around my deck (about 4 ft all the way around)
I would like to have something I do not have to replant every year,
something that has some color, not a lot of trimming etc I would prefer some
thing that does not attract bees, but does butterflies

I do plan on some cala lillies, some ferns, some jade and gardinia (well....
I just love them) and some jasmine.

Thanks
Bruce

A couple items come to mind, dwarf coyote bush and creeping manzanita.
Neither will give much color, other than green, but should do well
otherwise.
Old 14-06-2006, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Bruce wrote:
I live in northern california (east bay area) and have a yard I want to
plant.

I am looking for something that is low maintance. (I do have sprinklers, so
they do not have to be drought tolerant)

I have one area that I need ground cover (about 55 ft x 15 and sloping, so I
can not mow) I would like to have several selections for this area.

I also have an area around my deck (about 4 ft all the way around)
I would like to have something I do not have to replant every year,
something that has some color, not a lot of trimming etc I would prefer some
thing that does not attract bees, but does butterflies

I do plan on some cala lillies, some ferns, some jade and gardinia (well....
I just love them) and some jasmine.

Thanks
Bruce

You might check out Ajuga or Lamium for a possible g'cover depending on
sun exposure.

Search around at www.davesgarden.com for some ideas and pics of
plants.(plantfiles search)

Carl