Old 16-06-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bradford Pears - Different kinds?

I bought a few bradford pears because I like their dark green leaves
amoung other attributes. The bradford pears I bought have light green
leaves, and light colored bark. I thought they were like this just
because they are young, but my step-dad bought a few of the same size
that has the dark bark and dark green leaves. Have I bought the wrong
tree, or will my change? Below are a few pics....

http://utseay.smugmug.com/photos/74304567-O.jpg

http://utseay.smugmug.com/photos/74304645-O.jpg

Old 24-06-2006, 11:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

said:

Noone knows?

There are different cultivars. But your trees look like the newly planted
ones I've seen in some pretty stressful locations (islands in parking lots).
Most of the ones I've seen in yards or well established in public areas have
dark green leaves. That looks like a pretty brown stretch of lawn the tree
is plunked into. What's up with that?

And what's going on with the base of the trunk in the second picture?
It looks a bit strange.

I do not like these trees much, personally. Too many faults vs. virtues.
I especially dislike the way they reek when in bloom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_pear

wrote:
I bought a few bradford pears because I like their dark green leaves
amoung other attributes. The bradford pears I bought have light green
leaves, and light colored bark. I thought they were like this just
because they are young, but my step-dad bought a few of the same size
that has the dark bark and dark green leaves. Have I bought the wrong
tree, or will my change? Below are a few pics....

http://utseay.smugmug.com/photos/74304567-O.jpg

http://utseay.smugmug.com/photos/74304645-O.jpg

(attributed to Don Marti)

[IMG] code is On

For Padraig: different kinds of gardens & folliage - 1995 Neon Small Car Platform Team Celebration in Front of Chrysler Technology Center.jpg 292248 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Garden Photos 0 11-05-2007 04:08 PM
Bradford pears jrhslick Texas 0 07-08-2004 06:31 PM
Bradford pears. Planted last fall. Brown leaves. Any suggestions? Gourd Texas 7 08-08-2003 02:34 PM
Do Woodpeckers Systematically Destroy Bradford Pears? Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 14 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Do Woodpeckers Systematically Destroy Bradford Pears? Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 14 31-03-2003 12:20 AM