Old 21-06-2006, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Wolfe

Default poplar condition

I have a poplar tree in my front yard, which was there when I bought the
house. I was only told that it's a "poplar". The thing grows like a weed,
I don't think there's been a year when it failed to put on at least 5 feet.

There has been a spot on one of the roots for a few years where it has a
very odd growth, and this year, the new, small branches have developed
similar growths. I haven't been able to find similar growths in my
googling, so I'd like to hear if anyone can tell me what this is. Hopefully
it's something that the tree can overcome, but if not, the thing is big
enough (and grows so quickly) that it would be better to take it out sooner
rather than later.

A picture of one of the growths can be found at:

http://codon.com/poplar.jpg

Thanks in advance.

steve

Old 21-06-2006, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

Steve Wolfe wrote:
I have a poplar tree in my front yard, which was there when I bought the
house. I was only told that it's a "poplar". The thing grows like a weed,
I don't think there's been a year when it failed to put on at least 5 feet.

There has been a spot on one of the roots for a few years where it has a
very odd growth, and this year, the new, small branches have developed
similar growths. I haven't been able to find similar growths in my
googling, so I'd like to hear if anyone can tell me what this is. Hopefully
it's something that the tree can overcome, but if not, the thing is big
enough (and grows so quickly) that it would be better to take it out sooner
rather than later.

A picture of one of the growths can be found at:

http://codon.com/poplar.jpg

Thanks in advance.

steve

It's a gall, maybe Petiole Gall of Poplar.
It's unsightly but not dangerous.

Old 21-06-2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Steve Wolfe said:

I have a poplar tree in my front yard, which was there when I bought the
house. I was only told that it's a "poplar". The thing grows like a weed,
I don't think there's been a year when it failed to put on at least 5 feet.

There has been a spot on one of the roots for a few years where it has a
very odd growth, and this year, the new, small branches have developed
similar growths. I haven't been able to find similar growths in my
googling, so I'd like to hear if anyone can tell me what this is. Hopefully
it's something that the tree can overcome, but if not, the thing is big
enough (and grows so quickly) that it would be better to take it out sooner
rather than later.

A picture of one of the growths can be found at:

http://codon.com/poplar.jpg

Maybe poplar bud gall mites:

http://nofc.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/publicat...allmite_e.html

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 21-06-2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

Steve Wolfe wrote:
It's a gall, maybe Petiole Gall of Poplar.
It's unsightly but not dangerous.

Thanks for the tip on it being a gall. To my untrained eye, it looks like
it may be a crown gall:

http://soilplantlab.missouri.edu/pla.../crowngall.htm

Thoughts?

steve

Split one open, if there are no chambers inside then
it's probably caused by bacteria (crown); if there are
chambers present then probably caused by insect
(aphid, mite, moth, etc.)
If you can't ID it, play it safe, prune off and burn them.

Old 22-06-2006, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Wolfe

Split one open, if there are no chambers inside then
it's probably caused by bacteria (crown); if there are
chambers present then probably caused by insect
(aphid, mite, moth, etc.)
If you can't ID it, play it safe, prune off and burn them.

Thanks, I'll split one.

steve

[IMG] code is On

Water condition Pen Ponds (moderated) 6 08-03-2009 06:57 PM
Oak tree age, condition sammy Gardening 2 14-05-2007 01:19 AM
alternative for large lawn in bad condition tenplay Gardening 9 26-08-2005 11:47 AM
fish condition NewbieBill Ponds 7 07-04-2004 07:03 PM
Shear & Saw Condition Babberney Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM