Old 12-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Drucifer

Default Gardening Group by Where You Live.

Interested in discussing your Backyard Birding & Gardening activities
by where you live?

Then join one of the following regional group at Yahoo!

Old 12-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Warren

Drucifer wrote:
Interested in discussing your Backyard Birding & Gardening activities
by where you live?

Then join one of the following regional group at Yahoo!

I think you may have over-estimated just how many people would be
interested, and how many smaller pieces you can divide them into. Look
over the archives of this newsgroup, for example. I haven't counted
myself, but I would be very surprised if you could find more than 100
people who've contributed more than once or twice. There may be many
more lurkers that will occasionally decide to ask a question, or pipe in
with an answer or an opinion now and then, but if the group wasn't as
active as it is, they wouldn't bother even checking it.

And this is a worldwide newsgroup, too! If you tried to divide us up
into separate groups for each state, even the most active state groups
wouldn't be active enough to hold much interest. The sum of the parts
would be far less than the whole is.

Plus there are many other more active, more established forums out there
for both birding and gardening. Most are attached to websites that offer
content beyond the forums. The forums that are active likely originally
grew from people commenting on, and discussing the content of the site.

It's difficult to start one Yahoo Group that has any level of activity.
To try to start 50 or 60 similar groups at the same time isn't likely to
work well no matter how much or how often you solicit members in other
forums, like this newsgroup.

Take a look at how Usenet has grown. (Until the unwashed learned how
easy it is to create new groups that no one will bother to use, and
commercial ISP's honored rogue create messages just so they could point
to a higher group count than their competition, that is.) Usenet grew
from general groups splintering into sub-groups only once there was
enough interest in the sub-topic to sustain interest in the groups. The
sudden creation of a whole bunch of groups all related to the same
general topic, but divided into sub-groups usually only occurs on
company-specific hierarchies (microsoft.*, for example) when they
release a new product.

Also, you've made the arbitrary assumption that local interest changes
at the state line. To use an extreme example, some one in Texarkana, TX
would have more in common with people from Arkansas or even Louisiana
than they would with someone in El Paso, TX. If you had started with one
all-encompassing group, regional interests would have appeared over
time. And if you spun-off regional groups for those regions with enough
interest, eventually they may have come to the point that they could be
broken-up into sub-regions. Sure, some of those regions or sub-regions
may have been easily described by a state name, but when there is, for
example, a Connecticut group and a Rhode Island group, Rhode Island
residents may be less likely to join the Connecticut group even if it's
active, and the Rhode Island group is not.

Kudos to you for trying. I don't mean to be too critical, but I hope you
can appreciate one explanation as to why your dream isn't coming true,
and perhaps use this information to become more successful the next time
you try.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

Old 15-04-2003, 12:44 AM
jammer

Zone groups would be a better idea......