Old 21-06-2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jo Ann

Default Rock mulch

Hi,

I'm new to the group, gardening in Michigan's zone 5. I bought my
first house a year ago and have the good fortune to have a yard with a
lot of mature plants in place, including goodies like a tree peony,
about 600 bulb flowers, and nice variety of hostas. I am a fairly
newbie gardener, especially to shrubs and perennials (some experience
with annuals and vegetables).

At some point, someone mulched all of the flower beds and shrubs with
small rocks. They did a good job, in that the rocks cover almost all
of the soil and extend down about 3 inches into the ground. I suspect
they also may have placed a layer of black plastic, as I occasionally
unearth shreds of it when working in the beds.

At any rate, there are now lots of weeds coming up through the rocks,
but the depth of the rocks precludes weeding with any type of tool;
every last little intruder has to be hand-plucked. I can't really
cultivate around plants at all. The rocks are in my way BIG TIME when
I put anything new in. Also, many get raked out or kicked out when
doing various gardening tasks and have to be gathered up and put back
in, an ongoing minor hassle.

I have noticed that the rocks do seem to help the beds hold moisture,
in a good way (i.e., beds drain well and the soil is very nice). The
plants seem to be doing very well.

Nevertheless, I think I want to get rid of the rocks.

Are there compelling reasons to leave the rocks? Will it have a
negative impact on the established plants' health/ability to thrive if
I remove them?

If you agree that they should go, can you suggest a good method for
removing them? They are relatively small -- look like purchased "river
rock" or some such. Most are too small for a garden rake to work well,
but too heavy for a leaf rake.

All advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance. Nice to "meet you" :-)

Jo Ann

Old 21-06-2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Jo Ann wrote:
[...]

When we moved into this preexisting home 16 years ago the previous
owners had had an above ground pool. As part of the purchase contract we
asked that it be removed. We should have said "please take out the small
pebbles of marble that surrounded the pool."

We are backyard veggie, flower, and fruit gardeners and the rocks were
in the way. We raked with a spring steel leaf rake as much as we could
and then hand picked the rest into plastic buckets during the first year
we were here. One still turns up occasionally but I know of no easy way
to get the !@#$%^ things out other than the way we did it. Thinking back
we would have been better off to build a screen device of wood and 1/4
inch hardware cloth and then dig the dirt out with a shovel and put it
through the screening device, then putting the rock in the trash can or
in some place that really needed rock. Probably would have been much
better for us.

Sorry I can't be more positive but I think you've got a manual job
anyway you try it.

George in SW Louisiana

Old 21-06-2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
\Köi-Lö\

"Köi-Lö" wrote:

I sucked my fist dick at age 6, and have been hooked ever since.Won't
you let me suck you off as well....I canbe found on the google forum
freshwater aquarium, that has been started by my fellow gay and
lesbian friends that used to frequent therse aquaria
groups............now I am just a lonely cocksucker without a cock to
suck on. Help me please.......

Old 21-06-2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob

"Jo Ann" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Some rocks (limestone and marble) eventually affect soil PH, and the plants.

If you agree that they should go, can you suggest a good method for
removing them?

I had to totally remove some red-limestone rock mulch maybe ten years back,
to restore the slope along the house. I tried a variety of ways, and finally
used my "crabgrass rake" (it has heavy blades as tines) with some success.
I used that heavy rake to "rake" most of the rocks off onto a tarp, and
then pulled the plastic-with-rest-of-rocks up onto the top of them.

It is work, no matter how you cut it.

Old 23-06-2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Elbrecht

"Jo Ann" wrote:

-snip-
Nevertheless, I think I want to get rid of the rocks.

Are there compelling reasons to leave the rocks? Will it have a
negative impact on the established plants' health/ability to thrive if
I remove them?

Probably not-- but the plants will benefit from some type of mulch.

If you agree that they should go, can you suggest a good method for
removing them? They are relatively small -- look like purchased "river
rock" or some such. Most are too small for a garden rake to work well,
but too heavy for a leaf rake.

Sounds like the #2 river rock I put down everywhere 20 yrs ago.
'Good' way to get rid of them? Maybe. . . Easy? nope!.

I've got a piece of 3/8 hole hardware cloth that I lay across my
wheelbarrow. I shovel a few shovel fulls on that & rake until the
dirt falls into the barrow. i pick out the weeds by hand-- and when I
have fairly clean rocks I scrape them into my other wheelbarrow.

I've tried cleaning with water-- but it is much messier. I've also
eyed my concrete mixer and tried to envision how I'd make a cylinder
out of that hardware cloth and let the mixer tumble things apart---
but simplicity wins out. i do a little each year and now most of my
old rock mulch is gone. [except around the pool where I back flush the
filter. The rock works well there-- and gets frequent rinsing.

Now I use cedar mulch. I also use a porous weed barrier- not
plastic- under my mulch.

Good luck-

Jim

Old 23-06-2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
LAH

"Jo Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps you have a neighbor who would just love to have some rock mulch.
Give it to them if they will help remove it and take it to their yard.

[IMG] code is On

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
rock mulch Litl Fish Gardening 8 30-11-2003 03:42 AM
eat more rock, aka rock rocks! twisted IRONy Australia 0 24-11-2003 10:59 AM
suggestions regarding red lava rock as a mulch? Naomi Glass Gardening 5 15-07-2003 05:02 PM