Old 22-06-2006, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default newbie with roses: how long do blossoms last?

Hello,

I have never been a gifted gardener. This is the first year we've
tried roses. It's a 'CL Golden Showers', in a 16-inch pot. We planted
a bareroot a couple of months ago.

A couple of days ago, it blossomed for the first time! But the blossom
died in about two days. Is that normal? If so, will we get a lot of
blooms each year? If it's not normal, how can we fix it?

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

Old 22-06-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Some roses bloom for just a couple of days. Regardless of blooms, though,
16" is going to be a tight pot for that rose in another year or so. A good
rule of thumb for roses (and many other medium to large plants in pots) is
this: If you water the pot thoroughly, and you are then able to lift the pot
and walk it across the yard without wrecking your back, the pot is not big
enough.

ups.com...

Old 25-06-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mary Beth

"David E. Ross" wrote in message

Some roses have flowers that seem to last forever. I have seen flowers on
my 'Honor' last two weeks; this one is a great rose for cutting bouquets.
I generally see flowers on my 'Iceberg' last only 2-3 days; as cut
flowers, they last only a day. The difference is that 'Honor' has bloom
cycles through the year while 'Iceberg' always has flowers.

A little tip on keeping the bloom in the cut roses, mix half water with half
7Up or lemon-lime soda. Flat or bubbly, just the added suger.
I used to use the florist's stuff and tried aspirin for years, but this is
the best, especially for getting the not quite opened blooms to blossom!

Just an FYI
MaryBeth

Old 27-06-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks to all who wrote.