Old 25-06-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cuttysark

Default Irrigation system question

I don't see what it could harm......

On 25 Jun 2006 13:26:32 -0700, "Family Guy"
wrote:

We recently purchased a house with an irrigation system. I have a
question. Is it okay to turn off the the water (at the main valve)
after each use? Will it do any harm?

Thanks.

Old 26-06-2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Family Guy wrote:
We recently purchased a house with an irrigation system. I have a
question. Is it okay to turn off the the water (at the main valve)
after each use? Will it do any harm?

Thanks.

Andy writes:

Depends on the sytem... If the pump comes on automatically, and the
water source is turned off, the pump will not be able to circulate
water
and may burn out. Remember, a pump must always have water flowing
thru it.....both for heat dissipation and lubrication...

If nothing happens automatically, as long as the person that turns
on the pump knows to turn on the water first, there should be no
problem.

I assume that by the "main valve" you mean the valve that connects
the city water to the house water line. The one that turns off ALL the

water to the house....

If you do this, also make sure that the hot water heater is
turned off
also. If the hot water heater overheats, and boils itself dry, the
elements
will burn out. This can also happen if the plumbing loads are such
that
the hot water can drain out of the tank if a spigot is left open.....
It's
always a BAD idea to turn off the water if electric emersion heaters ,
such as found in hot water heaters, come into play.....So turn off the

hot water heater, whether it is gas or electric....

Well, those are all the things I can think of.... I guess you are
worried
about running up a big water bill before you are able to move in....
Just do the things above, and you should be OK.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 26-06-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob

"Family Guy" wrote in message
ups.com...
We recently purchased a house with an irrigation system. I have a
question. Is it okay to turn off the the water (at the main valve)
after each use? Will it do any harm?

No harm that I ever heard of - if the valves corrode in the air, they will
corrode in the water.

Here, each line is to have vacuum breaker, and so they drain out anyway.

And since the lines are mechanical parts, you know that someday some part is
going to fail and leak... better for that to happen when you are looking
at it.

fwiw

Thanks.

Old 27-06-2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

The valve seats in the control valve may dry out and dribble when
turned
on as well some oxidation may occur. As well if the controller is
directly
controlling a pump. I wouldn't recommend it.

Control valves don't last forever so replace if neccessary not working
or low volume.