Old 10-07-2006, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Default improving clay soil

Tony-
Many years back when I bought my present home, I had a similar problem.
The soil was terrible. Back then, I had access to rice hulls - a
bi-product of the rice growing industry, here in the Sacramento area.
They were very cheap, and light. I mixed them into the soil, and
instantly noticed how they made the soil so much easier to work, and to
weed. Things would actually grow in the garden, because bulbs and
seeds weren't becoming entombed in the clay.

I don't know if you have rice hulls available in your area. . .but it's
something you might want to investigate.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 10-07-2006, 10:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:53:01 GMT, "Plant Info"
wrote:

Gypsum or lime ONLY if your soil is on the acid side. If it's alkaline,
it
will only make it more so.
Suzy, Wisconsin Zone 5

Gypsum is a neutral salt and *does NOT* raise pH. This is easily
discovered with
a simple search of the 'net.

The discussion of pH misses the point anyway. The OP's got a problem with
clay soil, which, at its worst, is next to impossible to work with unless
you plan on cultivating with a backhoe. pH is the least of your worries in
such a situation.

Gypsum will not raise the soil ph. It has a neutral or slightly acidic
effect on soil. It does displace sodium, this is what makes a soil more
workable. Gypsum contains 23% calcium and 15% sulphur. Calcium is alkaline,
sulphur is acidic. (I presume the 2 elements cancel each other out somehow.)

Limes that do effect soil ph are agricultural lime (calcium carbonate-this
takes some time to work), dydrated lime (calcium hydroxide-quick acting but
not to be applied with fertilisers) and Dolomite lime which also contains
high levels of magnesium (12%) along with calcium (24%).

source - Yates Garden Guide.

rob