Old 29-06-2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
byreferral

Default Transplanting Camelia's

I live in the San Gabriel valley of So Cal and have approx (12)
camelia's that are approx 10-12 years old if not older. They line the
houses foundation (slab foundation) and face north & east (partial
to no sun). I would like to transplant them to face west (full sun)
along my rear wall.

Any idea's, suggestions, discouragement would be appreciated.

Old 29-06-2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default Transplanting Camellias

byreferral wrote:
I live in the San Gabriel valley of So Cal and have approx (12)
camelia's that are approx 10-12 years old if not older. They line the
houses foundation (slab foundation) and face north & east (partial
to no sun). I would like to transplant them to face west (full sun)
along my rear wall.

Any idea's, suggestions, discouragement would be appreciated.

Camellias will NOT thrive in the afternoon sun in the San Gabriel
Valley. They might not even survive.

In their native environment, they do grow out in the open on
south-facing slopes. However, they get almost constant cloud cover to
moderate the sun.

My camellia bed is on the north side of my house. But my house is not
square on the compass. The north side gets some morning sun. The most
easterly camellia provides some shade, partially protecting the others
from the morning sun. That one is the least vigorous of my plants,
often showing leaf burn and even die-back.

By the way, see my http://www.rossde.com/malaprops/apostrophe.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 29-06-2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
BB

"David E. Ross" wrote in
:

My camellia bed is on the north side of my house. But my house is not
square on the compass. The north side gets some morning sun. The most
easterly camellia provides some shade, partially protecting the others
from the morning sun. That one is the least vigorous of my plants,
often showing leaf burn and even die-back.

That's my experience, too. I had a camelia on the north-east corner of my
house. It got only morning sun in winter but, come summer, it got morning
sun for a couple hours, then some shade, and then by mid afternoon, it had
come out of the shade and and into full sun. It had burnt leaves and was
just generally unattractive.

AFIK, camelias do best with only *MORNING* sun or shade. YMMV...

--Bryan

* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | Reply if you want. E-mail *
* Take it out! | address changes frequently *
* (Damn Viruses!) | to foil spambots. *

[IMG] code is On

Camelia question whiteMemphis Australia 3 11-01-2005 10:56 AM
Camelia flowering - lack of! CM United Kingdom 6 06-04-2004 09:46 PM
Camelia flowering - lack of! CM United Kingdom 0 06-04-2004 09:39 PM
Camelia cuttings Shelley Australia 3 18-10-2003 01:02 PM
Camelia Red Australia 7 13-10-2003 11:23 PM