Old 04-07-2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

Default When to divide Siberian Iris?

I have a few clumps of Siberian iris in a neglected corner of my
vegetable garden. I'm trying to clean it up and get all the grass out.
The iris are surprisingly healthy in spite of being overrun with
grass. Can I dig them now, pull all the grass stollens (sp?) out, and
move them (the irises) to the flower bed? Or should I wait until fall?
Thanks.

Bob
Old 04-07-2006, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Natty Dread

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I have a few clumps of Siberian iris in a neglected corner of my vegetable
garden. I'm trying to clean it up and get all the grass out. The iris are
surprisingly healthy in spite of being overrun with grass. Can I dig them
now, pull all the grass stollens (sp?) out, and move them (the irises) to
the flower bed? Or should I wait until fall? Thanks.

Bob

I'd recommend waiting until fall to divide irises. Well, for most
perennials, for that matter.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

zxcvbob expounded:

I have a few clumps of Siberian iris in a neglected corner of my
vegetable garden. I'm trying to clean it up and get all the grass out.
The iris are surprisingly healthy in spite of being overrun with
grass. Can I dig them now, pull all the grass stollens (sp?) out, and
move them (the irises) to the flower bed? Or should I wait until fall?
Thanks.

Siberian iris are tough, I think you'd be find digging them out now
and moving them; just make sure to keep them well watered through the
hot summer months. The tall bearded iris are best dealt with at the
end of July (in my area, anyway).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 04-07-2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

zxcvbob wrote:

I have a few clumps of Siberian iris in a neglected corner of my
vegetable garden. I'm trying to clean it up and get all the grass out.
The iris are surprisingly healthy in spite of being overrun with
grass. Can I dig them now, pull all the grass stollens (sp?) out, and
move them (the irises) to the flower bed? Or should I wait until fall?
Thanks.

Bob

Bob,

You can transplant them now but I would wait until fall. It would also
be a good idea to feed them about once a month until you transplant them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL