Old 04-08-2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese beetles on grape vine

Some have told you not to worry about the riddled leaves but I take
exception to this.
The Beetles feed on the new leaves and tender shoots. THIS is where most of
the photosynthesis is taking place for the grape vine. Grape leaves have a
productive photosynthesis life of 60 to 90 days. After that, the young
leaves take up the work load. You may not realize it, but your vine is
suffering from not having healthy young leaves if you let the beetles have
their way.

I use Seven. If you do, wait at least 7 days before harvesting your grapes.
For me, this is no problem because the beetles are usually gone around mid
August and I do not harvest until late September to mid October (wine
grapes)

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I guess I've been lucky during 35 years of gardening - this is the first
time I've had to deal with Japanese beetles. They're decimating my grape
vine leaves. I doused them last night with disgusting, fermented
garlic/onion spray that I made last year, which chased them away. Are they
a short-visit pest, or do they tend to move in with their furniture and
extended families once they've found a snack they like?

Old 04-08-2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

I took all that "riddled leaf" advice with a grain of salt. As far as the
Sevin, I won't use that. But, the hideous onion/garlic spray seems to have
done the trick for now. I have not seen a single beetle on the plants since
my first message.