Old 20-07-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Joy

Default Question about getting seeds from Balloon Flower

My father tried to get me some seeds from his Balloon Flower (platycodon
grandiflorum) in July by cutting off the seed pod while it was still green
with the flower wilted, but still attached and not yet dried up.

I don't think there are any seeds in the 'pod' and am thinking he might
have to wait until the pod turns brown and dries while still attached to
the plant.

Am I correct?

Thanks!

Joy
Old 20-07-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Joy wrote:

My father tried to get me some seeds from his Balloon Flower (platycodon
grandiflorum) in July by cutting off the seed pod while it was still green
with the flower wilted, but still attached and not yet dried up.

I don't think there are any seeds in the 'pod' and am thinking he might
have to wait until the pod turns brown and dries while still attached to
the plant.

Am I correct?

Thanks!

Joy

Joy,

Yes, you are correct. The seeds are not fully developed until the pod
is almost brown. It is really best to let them on the plant until they
are completely brown.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 23-07-2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Joy wrote:
My father tried to get me some seeds from his Balloon Flower (platycodon
grandiflorum) in July by cutting off the seed pod while it was still green
with the flower wilted, but still attached and not yet dried up.

I don't think there are any seeds in the 'pod' and am thinking he might
have to wait until the pod turns brown and dries while still attached to
the plant.

Am I correct?

Thanks!

Joy

I have got balloon flowers galore, & I am telling you that one of the
easiest ways to propagate them is to divide them. It will look like you
have totally killed the plant, but lo & behold, next year, it will come
back with a vengence. I started out with 1 little planted, & it has
divided itself, plus, I have done some dividing myself into many many
plants.