Old 23-07-2006, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bunny McElwee

Default Pecan Tree? Will it bear?

About 3 years ago, I was weeding under alarge picnic table that my
husband and I built in our back yard. I pulled this particular "weed" and
out it came, attach to the center of a cracked open Pecan. Thinking this was
odd, especially since there are no pecan trees near my home, decided to put
the pecan, roots, little tree, shell and all into a pot and see what
happened. Well, three years later, it's a vigorously growing tree in a pot.
It's about 1 1/2 foot tall now, coming from a "weed" of about 3 inches tall.
My question is this: What are the odds this tree will survive? What are the
odds it will ever produce anything? When should I put it in the ground? I'm
almost afraid to do anything with it for fear of jinxing the good luck I
have had with it in the pot. It's got a good set of about 15 "limbs" on it,
and each year it gets bigger and more leaves. I am in Moncks Corner, SC
which is about 20 miles inland of Charleston, SC. I would love to have a
pecan tree, but prices of them are pretty high and I just wonder if I lucked
out and got a free one, that one day ( I know they take a long time to bear
fruit) will have pecans on it. Any help and advice would be greatly
appreciated!

--
Bunny McElwee
Event Coordinator

1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
"BlueFlash"

Old 23-07-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
says...
[...]

Any nuts you get off of the tree will be very small. Quality pecans are
grafted on root stock and the seedlings revert back to the root stock
variety that will be of poor quality. There are plenty of people who
harvest the "native" pecans but they are a lot of work for little meat.
Now if you are wanting a quality landscape tree, you should be happy.
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

[IMG] code is On

loging truck vs 700lb black bear bear - 1 attachment Ann Garden Photos 29 05-01-2008 06:32 PM
Pecan tree Lil' Dave Lawns 0 13-09-2005 12:16 PM
Pecan tree care El Vato Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Pecan tree problem... Gene S Texas 2 23-04-2003 05:56 AM
Pecan tree care El Vato Lawns 1 07-03-2003 07:36 AM