Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-07-2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Oak Seedlings

Last fall I collected some acorns from under a Willow Oak on the
PSU-Hershey Med Center Campus. Four of them started to grow, only one
looks right for a Willow oak.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mkmolchan/07-23-06_1122.jpg. (The one on
the left.) All of the acorns originally appeared to be from the same
tree. There were other red oaks (others from the group with spines on
the leaf tip) Can I have some hybrids in my group of four?

Can I plant these out into the yard now here in PA if I keep them well
watered? If not now, when?

Jim

PS I fell in love with the Willow Oaks at Mt. Vernon when I visited,
but was told they were a southern tree. I later found out that some
can grow up north if they were adapted, but found no nursery that had
them. When I saw the trees in 2002 at Hershey Med I kept watching them
for acorns.

[IMG] code is On

Oak seedlings karamonde Gardening 19 29-04-2012 10:37 AM
How do you look after Oak seedlings? anthony123hopki Gardening 0 07-05-2007 05:58 PM
Looking after Oak seedlings anthony123hopki United Kingdom 0 05-05-2007 03:41 PM
[IBC] Removing Oak Taproots was [IBC] Starting Seeds Brent Walston Bonsai 6 13-05-2003 07:20 PM
[IBC] Offtopic: Killing an Oak Tree (A Gratuitous Death) David J. Bockman Bonsai 7 01-02-2003 01:18 PM