Old 13-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Smartakus

Default suggestions for wall baskets

I have two hay baskets which I have lined with coco fiber, and want to plant
with either flowering plants or something with interesting foliage. The problem
is that they are in a rather remote location of my yard (far from the hose!),
and it will be difficult to water them every day. I'm looking for suggestions
for a tough, drought-tolerant annual that has a cascading or hanging habit. I'm
considering some of the smaller-leaved sedums, but they don't really hang so
much as creep, and I'd love to find something that will spill over the sides.
Also, flowers would be a plus. Portulaca can tolerate dry soil, I know, but not
sure about whether it will really fill out the baskets and hang over the sides.
Also considering sweet potato vine, or wave petunias, but I fear these prefer
more moisture.

The baskets are in part sun, and I'm in zone 6b Tennessee. Hot, humid, you know
the drill.

Would really appreciate any new ideas, especially colorful ones! TIA