Old 25-07-2013, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wall planters / hanging baskets - ideas for plants

Hi all,

here's a good one - I am looking for lots of suggestions so there is not
"right answer"

I have a bit of north facing brick wall, 4m wide, that I would like to
soften with some 2-4 ft wide trough basket type planters screwed to it at
various random heights across most of the width.

I'm looking for some low maintenance plants to fill these with that will
look good even in winter. Fluffy and dangly would be good too. Looking to
cover 25% of the wall surface visually.

The wall is single storey with a flat roof on back of bungalow (tiny
"extension", sort of bay window sized), so in summer it does get a decent
amount of light but no direct sun.

Some ideas that already came to mind: Any herbs that might do OK in well lit
non direct sunlight - maybe thyme? These could be confined to a particular
basket or baskets to avoid being swamped by another plant. Also dwarf
lavender and heathers? I suspect the heathers might like more sun?

I'd like to repeat the question for east and west walls too.

And again for the front south facing wall (not much wall area here, so
probably a couple of window boxes and 4 hanging baskets. Here I might be
happy to go with seasonal flowers and some basket tomatoes as they love the
sun.

Watering: will be by tap water via micro irrigation. Fertilizer applied
directly as suits the plant types. I don't think our water is super hard
(East Sussex) but it might affect a really fussy acid loving plant.

Look forward to some interesting ideas - and thanks in advance

Tim

Old 25-07-2013, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2013 16:27, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

What's so good about it?
Old 25-07-2013, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday 25 July 2013 20:57 David Hill wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

On 25/07/2013 16:27, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi all,

What's so good about it?

Well, it cannot degenerate into polarised views because I'm looking for a
mix of ideas, not "the single right one" as is often the case with USENET
questions

But full marks for thread drift at T=0 ;-