GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What do you think? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148751-what-do-you-think.html)

JoeSpareBedroom 17-08-2006 04:58 PM

What do you think?

"helco" wrote in message
m...

"J.C." wrote in message

I start seeds in styrofoam cups. I do exclusively square foot
gardening and have several boxes going. I use the 32oz cups that I
buy in bulk from Sam's Club. I put about 1 inch of potting soil in
the cup.

When it comes time to plant I just cut the bottom out of the cups and
plant the whole things. This leaves me the proper amount of empty cup
to do the watering called for in the Square Foot Gardening book.

Well, everything that happens, wilt, browning leaves, low yield,
bugs, disease etc., happens because I PLANT THE DANG CUPS, according
to my wife. She, and others, say this is a definate no-no. I
disagree. What do you say and why?

Snipped much discussion of problems with styrofoam cups, cups in general,
various other solutions ...

J.C. wrote:
If you are familiar with this method, as portrayed in the book, you
will recall that the method calls for making a "saucer" type impression
in the square and putting the plant right in the middle of that. Then,
you water each plant by pouring one cup of water into the impression
either daily, every other day or weekly, as the particular type of
plant spec calls for.

Now, we are talking about some 100 boxes here. Having an employee
going around with a bucket and a cup and making sure he gets everything
watered properly is a waste of time and money in my opinion. So, I
decided to experiment by using a 32 ounce cup, leaving enough of it
empty so as to hold the alloted amount of water so the fellow could
just go around with a wand and fill up the cups. We only tried this
with 12 boxes and we had a few problems and my wife blamed everythiing
on planting those dang cups.

I know styrofoam is not biodegradable so I know it does no harm to
anything in the box. I know that when we remove the plants to
rejuvenate a box for future plantings the roots are NOT rootbound or
anything. I'm pretty sure, as the boxes are filled with a plant medium
mixture of 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 well composted cow manure and other
organic material, and 1/3 spanghum peat moss, that there is ample
aeration. So, what I am trying to determine is whether or not the cups
are detrimental or have I just run into a run of fungus, disease or
something.

For my two cents, I'd just soon take the started plants out of whatever
they are started in, and plant them directly into the square, but the
problem with that is, unless I'm following the guys around, they
inevitably overwater, washout or just plain wipe out a whole box.

--
J.C.

helco wrote:
Okay, since you seem loyal to your method, how's about conducting an
experiment next summer? Put half your plants out in the sort of plastic
cups you want to use, and put half out in peat pots. (Or one third in
plastic, one third in peat, one third without a cup of any sort.) Don't
clump each type together, in case there are variations in different
areas of the soil. Then compare the results and report back to the News
Group.

helco

J.C. wrote:
We did that this year. That's why I'm asking others what experiences they
have?
J.C.

So if you conducted that experiment this year, what were the results? If
your wife suggests that any damage that occurs is due to the cups, does
that mean that only the plants in the cups suffered the damage? If that's
the case, there's your answer. If plants suffered equally no matter how
they were planted, then there's a different answer.
helco

In my collection of 30+ gardening books, most of which include instructions
for properly preparing a planting hole, I've never seen mention of
surrounding the plant with a waterproof plastic substance. The OP needs
books. Lots of books.

Jangchub 17-08-2006 06:04 PM

What do you think?

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:11:01 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

If the OP had read even just one or two of the most basic gardening books
(which should come before graduating to square foot gardening, a method
which, by the way, I have a lot of respect for), he would have the answers
to his questions. The step in his education would be your suggestion: Learn
by doing.

Instead, what we're seeing here is an example of how some people never
learned to learn.

And certainly mocking and lambasting someone for not knowing how to
learn is the way to help them learn. Right?

In the dozen or so years on Usenet, and 20 years I've been online
posting about gardening, be sure there isn't one thing I went out and
did based on what I read in a newsgroup. Quite the opposite. I did
learn how to check up. I'm so happy I know how to learn and if
another cannot, it's nothing to get snotty about. That's my
contention.

Jangchub 17-08-2006 06:07 PM

What do you think?

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:56:31 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"J.C." wrote in message
om...

I've killfiled the fellow so his antagonism and arrogance does me no harm.
J.C.

I don't like to hear about my mistakes, either, but I still step up to the
fire.

A human of character steps up to the fire by sharing wisdom and having
compassion. I am not always perfect either, but I strive to be a
better person. Usenet is an excellent laboratory to learn to have
skillful means.

JoeSpareBedroom 17-08-2006 06:34 PM

What do you think?

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:56:31 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"J.C." wrote in message
. com...

I've killfiled the fellow so his antagonism and arrogance does me no
harm.
J.C.

I don't like to hear about my mistakes, either, but I still step up to the
fire.

A human of character steps up to the fire by sharing wisdom and having
compassion. I am not always perfect either, but I strive to be a
better person. Usenet is an excellent laboratory to learn to have
skillful means.

He was told within hours that styrofoam cups were a lousy idea. That's when
the conversation should've ended. And, since they're extremely cheap, you'd
think the nursery plant industry would use them by the billions, instead of
plastic 6-packs or hard plastic pots. But, they don't.

Jangchub 17-08-2006 10:05 PM

What do you think?

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:34:33 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

He was told within hours that styrofoam cups were a lousy idea. That's when
the conversation should've ended. And, since they're extremely cheap, you'd
think the nursery plant industry would use them by the billions, instead of
plastic 6-packs or hard plastic pots. But, they don't.

I know, I'm one of the people who said styrofoam should be banned from
the earth!

My point is, if the conversation is over for any number of people,
they should or could drop out of it. To continue to slam the OP is
not helpful.

I know why plastic is used in horticulture. I was a professional
grower in a commercial greenhouse. It's not very logical to use
something flimsy because when those plug trays are loaded up to bring
to the head house where the transplanting is done, they are slung
around like bales of hay. Styrofoam is flimsy.

To try and give the OP a more reasonable answer, I would say to start
the seeds in the styrofoam if he must, but to take a sheet of
newspaper and line each cup with it. The paper can be doubled up and
worked and folded to fit into the cups. This will cut way down on
transplant shock and when it's time to plant them out in the garden
the plant will just pop out of the cup. Plant the newspaper and all.

J.C.[_1_] 17-08-2006 10:37 PM

What do you think?

"Jangchub" wrote in message

EVERYBODY MISSES OUR REASON FOR TRYING THE STYROFOAM CUPS!!!!! And the only
question I needed to have answered was, could the problems we experienced be
the result of using the CUPS, not whether they are styrofoam, plastic,
paper, newspaper are what have you. THE SIMPLE QUESTION IS, DOES PLANTING
THE CUP HAVE A DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON THE PLANT?

As the people over on rec.gardens.edible were a bit more intelligent, much
less arrogant and willing to address the main question, I don't need anymore
bullshit from this ng.

PLONK to the whole damn bunch! And, I thank you all in advance for your
"good riddances" I'm sure to follow.

--
J.C.

JoeSpareBedroom 17-08-2006 10:46 PM

What do you think?

"J.C." wrote in message
m...

"Jangchub" wrote in message

EVERYBODY MISSES OUR REASON FOR TRYING THE STYROFOAM CUPS!!!!! And the
only question I needed to have answered was, could the problems we
experienced be the result of using the CUPS, not whether they are
styrofoam, plastic, paper, newspaper are what have you. THE SIMPLE
QUESTION IS, DOES PLANTING THE CUP HAVE A DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON THE PLANT?

If you weren't a child, and you took the time to learn the BASICS of
gardening, you would KNOW that your little cups were a stupid idea.

LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE. YOU ARE HURTING YOUR PLANTS.

Wait....that's your problem. You're afraid to tell your wife that she's
right.

zxcvbob 17-08-2006 11:38 PM

What do you think?

J.C. wrote:
"Jangchub" wrote in message

EVERYBODY MISSES OUR REASON FOR TRYING THE STYROFOAM CUPS!!!!! And the only
question I needed to have answered was, could the problems we experienced be
the result of using the CUPS, not whether they are styrofoam, plastic,
paper, newspaper are what have you. THE SIMPLE QUESTION IS, DOES PLANTING
THE CUP HAVE A DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON THE PLANT?

The plastic cups ought to discourage cutworms, but that should be a
*good* thing.

The plastic may be driving the roots deeper than they would normally go
before they get to spread out, and that's not always a good thing.

BTW, you should have said you scavenged used styrofoam cups from a
cafeteria dumpster before they were headed to the landfill (or
incinerator, ever burned styrene?) That might have made you a hero
instead of getting yelled at.

Bob

Jangchub 18-08-2006 02:41 PM

What do you think?

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:37:24 GMT, "J.C." wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

EVERYBODY MISSES OUR REASON FOR TRYING THE STYROFOAM CUPS!!!!! And the only
question I needed to have answered was, could the problems we experienced be
the result of using the CUPS, not whether they are styrofoam, plastic,
paper, newspaper are what have you. THE SIMPLE QUESTION IS, DOES PLANTING
THE CUP HAVE A DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON THE PLANT?

YES YES YES! It restricts the roots and when you water into the cup
you are not watering the feeder roots which are out by the drip line
of the plant. You also give opportunity for pathogens to grow under
the top of the cup if your plant is lower than the top of the cup.

As the people over on rec.gardens.edible were a bit more intelligent, much
less arrogant and willing to address the main question, I don't need anymore
bullshit from this ng.

PLONK to the whole damn bunch! And, I thank you all in advance for your
"good riddances" I'm sure to follow.

Oh, didn't hear what you wanted to hear. Typical. This is why you
were answered ten times and you didn't have the ability to glean from
that.

JoeSpareBedroom 18-08-2006 02:47 PM

What do you think?

"Jangchub" wrote in message

[...]

Pity his wife....if they find water coming through the ceiling, he probably
insists the leak is in the basement.

betsyb[_1_] 18-08-2006 03:10 PM

What do you think?

--

Betsy
"J.C." wrote in message
m...
I start seeds in styrofoam cups. I do exclusively square foot gardening and
have several boxes going. I use the 32oz cups that I buy in bulk from Sam's
Club. I put about 1 inch of potting soil in the cup.

When it comes time to plant I just cut the bottom out of the cups and
plant the whole things. This leaves me the proper amount of empty cup to
do the watering called for in the Square Foot Gardening book.

Well, everything that happens, wilt, browning leaves, low yield, bugs,
disease etc., happens because I PLANT THE DANG CUPS, according to my wife.
She, and others, say this is a definate no-no. I disagree. What do you say
and why?

--
J.C.

My tomato plants came in cups from Lowes. You tear off the bottoms and plant
the whole thing. They produces just fine but the cups were degradable paper.

Betsy

Jangchub 18-08-2006 03:52 PM

What do you think?

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:47:34 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Pity his wife....if they find water coming through the ceiling, he probably
insists the leak is in the basement.

After all the support I gave to him, still he hears nothing. There
are people who are like this all their lives and I truly feel for
them. So much is being missed.

He wanted to hear the cups were good so he kept asking till someone
would say he was right.

When I first went to Alcoholics Anonymous in 1978 I heard something.
Long story short, get a sponsor, join a group, get a life outside the
rooms. Also, it was said if you want to get well, choose sponsorship
carefully, listen to that person if you admire their sobriety and do
not go from person to person asking the same thing, wishing for the
answer you want to hear. I think that was one of the most valued
lesson I received.

JoeSpareBedroom 18-08-2006 04:12 PM

What do you think?

wrote:

Pity his wife....if they find water coming through the ceiling, he
probably
insists the leak is in the basement.

After all the support I gave to him, still he hears nothing. There
are people who are like this all their lives and I truly feel for
them. So much is being missed.

He wanted to hear the cups were good so he kept asking till someone
would say he was right.

When I first went to Alcoholics Anonymous in 1978 I heard something.
Long story short, get a sponsor, join a group, get a life outside the
rooms. Also, it was said if you want to get well, choose sponsorship
carefully, listen to that person if you admire their sobriety and do
not go from person to person asking the same thing, wishing for the
answer you want to hear. I think that was one of the most valued
lesson I received.

And then, there's the library. It seems like nobody goes there any more, at
least not some of the people who visit newsgroups with questions. Here's a
classic from rec.food.cooking:

"Can I make lasagna at home? How?'

That's all. No clue as to whether he/she/it wanted to make the DISH, or the
noodles themselves from scratch. When it was pointed out by numerous living
humans that the recipe for the dish was right on every box of lasagna ever
printed, these people were labeled as smartasses. In other sub-threads, it
became a ****ing match (as always) about who had the best recipe, which, of
course, did not address the original question.

Naturally, the OP never returned. It only posted the initial question. IIRC,
it was a Web TV user.