Old 03-09-2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Peone leaves turning black

My peone plants have black leaves or some have black spots on the
leaves. I don't remember the plants being this bad before. Anybody
have some answers for me.

Thanks
Lori
Old 03-09-2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

kayla wrote:
My peone plants have black leaves or some have black spots on the
leaves. I don't remember the plants being this bad before. Anybody
have some answers for me.

Thanks
Lori

you having a lot of rain where you're at? (and that's peony,) the black
spots sounds like Black spot or fungus that also attacks roses. This
late in the season, I'd just clip the leaves and completely remove them.
If there are a lot of them and you have time, spray with a fungicide and
remove any fallen leaves from underneath and dispose of the (no compost
pile for them, the landfill as the fungus will reproduce in your compost
pile and spread back)
madgardener
Old 04-09-2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"madgardener" wrote in message
kayla wrote:
My peone plants have black leaves or some have black spots on the
leaves. I don't remember the plants being this bad before. Anybody
have some answers for me. Thanks
Lori

you having a lot of rain where you're at? (and that's peony,) the black
spots sounds like Black spot or fungus that also attacks roses. This late
in the season, I'd just clip the leaves and completely remove them. If
there are a lot of them and you have time, spray with a fungicide and
remove any fallen leaves from underneath and dispose of the (no compost
pile for them, the landfill as the fungus will reproduce in your compost
pile and spread back)
madgardener

A neighbor had some success last year spraying her roses with a water &
baking soda solution. Salty, ya know? She didn't say how much baking soda
she used, but for reasons I can't explain, I'd start with 2-3 tablespoons in
a quart.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for your replies. Actually we have had a very dry hot summer.
The rains just started. The towns all around us have had rain but our
little town had none. No rain but lots of humidity so that could be
the problem. I think I will cut the leaves,let them dry and burn
them. The baking sda sounds good for next year. I'll soon be cutting
the stems. Peony-- I knew that. Senior moment. ;-)

Lori