Old 07-09-2006, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default What is this ground cover?

Our crushed-rock parking area has killed the various ground covers we
tried to plant there, too dry or too much traffic or something else.
But now a volunteer ground cover is spreading. It's low to the ground,
seems not to want any water in our long, dry summer, puts up with foot
traffic and car traffic, and is comfortable under bare feet.

So of course it's probably an invasive weed that I'm supposed to be
eradicating furiously, right?

http://www.phred.org/~josh/PLANT_1.JPG is one whole plant.
http://www.phred.org/~josh/PLANT_2.JPG is a closer view.

For scale, it's on crushed rock, mostly 3/8" to 1/2".

Can you tell me what this is? Is it officially noxious, dangerous,
undesirable? If I let it spread across the gravel, what will it do when
it hits the lawn?

Thanks for any information!

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Old 07-09-2006, 01:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

In message , Joshua Putnam
writes
Our crushed-rock parking area has killed the various ground covers we
tried to plant there, too dry or too much traffic or something else.
But now a volunteer ground cover is spreading. It's low to the ground,
seems not to want any water in our long, dry summer, puts up with foot
traffic and car traffic, and is comfortable under bare feet.

So of course it's probably an invasive weed that I'm supposed to be
eradicating furiously, right?

http://www.phred.org/~josh/PLANT_1.JPG is one whole plant.
http://www.phred.org/~josh/PLANT_2.JPG is a closer view.

For scale, it's on crushed rock, mostly 3/8" to 1/2".

Can you tell me what this is? Is it officially noxious, dangerous,
undesirable? If I let it spread across the gravel, what will it do when
it hits the lawn?

Thanks for any information!

Looks like one of the knotgrasses (Polygonum sensu strictu). I won't
take a guess at the species; quite possibly you've got a different set
of possibilities compare to my location.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-09-2006, 02:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Joshua Putnam wrote:
Our crushed-rock parking area has killed the various ground covers we
tried to plant there, too dry or too much traffic or something else.
But now a volunteer ground cover is spreading. It's low to the ground,
seems not to want any water in our long, dry summer, puts up with foot
traffic and car traffic, and is comfortable under bare feet.

So of course it's probably an invasive weed that I'm supposed to be
eradicating furiously, right?

http://www.phred.org/~josh/PLANT_1.JPG is one whole plant.
http://www.phred.org/~josh/PLANT_2.JPG is a closer view.

For scale, it's on crushed rock, mostly 3/8" to 1/2".

Can you tell me what this is? Is it officially noxious, dangerous,
undesirable? If I let it spread across the gravel, what will it do when
it hits the lawn?

Thanks for any information!

My guess is Purslane (portulaca oleracea)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 07-09-2006, 05:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

In article ,
says...

Looks like one of the knotgrasses (Polygonum sensu strictu). I won't
take a guess at the species; quite possibly you've got a different set
of possibilities compare to my location.

Oh, yes, location -- central Puget Sound, between Seattle and Tacoma.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Old 07-09-2006, 07:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"Willshak" wrote in message
Joshua Putnam wrote:
Our crushed-rock parking area has killed the various ground covers we
tried to plant there, too dry or too much traffic or something else. But
now a volunteer ground cover is spreading. It's low to the ground, seems
not to want any water in our long, dry summer, puts up with foot traffic
and car traffic, and is comfortable under bare feet.

So of course it's probably an invasive weed that I'm supposed to be
eradicating furiously, right?

http://www.phred.org/~josh/PLANT_1.JPG is one whole plant.
http://www.phred.org/~josh/PLANT_2.JPG is a closer view.

For scale, it's on crushed rock, mostly 3/8" to 1/2".

Can you tell me what this is? Is it officially noxious, dangerous,
undesirable? If I let it spread across the gravel, what will it do when
it hits the lawn?

Thanks for any information!

My guess is Purslane (portulaca oleracea)

If that's it, it's tasty when the weather cools down. Put it in salads.