Old 14-09-2006, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Indoor Winter Gardening

I live in Ottawa Canada, and would like to grow tomatoes, lettuce, green
onions, leeks indoors, does nayone here have any good tips, tricks, links
to indoor gardening
thank you

Old 14-09-2006, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"trees" wrote in message
net.ca...
I live in Ottawa Canada, and would like to grow tomatoes, lettuce, green
onions, leeks indoors, does nayone here have any good tips, tricks, links
to indoor gardening
thank you

I'll assume this is a serious question, and not a joke. Now, for the first
question: Are you very rich? And, is electricity free where you live?

Old 14-09-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"trees" wrote in message
net.ca...
I live in Ottawa Canada, and would like to grow tomatoes, lettuce, green
onions, leeks indoors, does nayone here have any good tips, tricks, links
to indoor gardening
thank you

I'll assume this is a serious question, and not a joke. Now, for the first
question: Are you very rich? And, is electricity free where you live?

I'm sure you have a library near by if not a connection to the internet.
Look for cold climate gardening, green houses in the north, etc. Tomatoes
especially need a certain amount of what is equal to summer sun hours and
light intensity. I lived in the Montana right at the northern border and had
an attached green house where I grew salad vegetables all winter long and
got a head start on garden veggies. If you are going to be paying for
electricity for your lights and possibly for your heat as well you'd be
better off buying them. I was off the grid so the lights didn't cost me any
more or less to run and it was heated from my house. Joe is right, unless
you are very handy and clever and/or financially flush, head for the produce
department at the grocers. I seriously doubt you get enough natural winter
light for a window sill operation.

Val

Old 15-09-2006, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

trees wrote:
I live in Ottawa Canada, and would like to grow tomatoes, lettuce, green
onions, leeks indoors, does nayone here have any good tips, tricks, links
to indoor gardening
thank you

And if you do proceed you might want to report your electricity
increase reasons to the cops and save yourself a new front door
replacement when the narcs kick it in. All spikes in electricity use
above normal (cept for christmas time) are reported to the cops for
grow op reasons.

Old 15-09-2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...

trees wrote:
I live in Ottawa Canada, and would like to grow tomatoes, lettuce, green
onions, leeks indoors, does nayone here have any good tips, tricks,
links
to indoor gardening
thank you

And if you do proceed you might want to report your electricity
increase reasons to the cops and save yourself a new front door
replacement when the narcs kick it in. All spikes in electricity use
above normal (cept for christmas time) are reported to the cops for
grow op reasons.

Not to mention the sudden need for an air conditioning unit. The big-ass
lights needed for sun-loving plants produce enormous amounts of heat.

Having said this, I have a friend here (upstate NY) whose living room has
windows on 3 sides. She grows lettuce in indoor window boxes. The leaves are
thinner than those grown outdoors, but still delicious. It gets down to
about 40 degrees F. on the windowsills.

Old 16-09-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

seriously true!!!!

wrote:

trees wrote:
I live in Ottawa Canada, and would like to grow tomatoes, lettuce, green
onions, leeks indoors, does nayone here have any good tips, tricks, links
to indoor gardening
thank you

And if you do proceed you might want to report your electricity
increase reasons to the cops and save yourself a new front door
replacement when the narcs kick it in. All spikes in electricity use
above normal (cept for christmas time) are reported to the cops for
grow op reasons.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com