Old 18-09-2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default orange grass

I've lived in this home for 6 summers now and this is the first time
I've seen this: orange grass.

I googled it, and apparently it's "rust".

Trying to think of what might be different this year to cause it.
Only thing I can come up with is that we let the grass grow a little
taller this year before mowing. We live out in the country and have
about 2 acres to mow.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Old 18-09-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 18 Sep 2006 07:52:41 -0700, Ether Jones wrote:

I've lived in this home for 6 summers now and this is the first time
I've seen this: orange grass.

I googled it, and apparently it's "rust".

Trying to think of what might be different this year to cause it.
Only thing I can come up with is that we let the grass grow a little
taller this year before mowing. We live out in the country and have
about 2 acres to mow.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Fungal disease most common in drought-stressed turfgrass that is poorly
mowed and poorly fertilized. Don't remove more than 20%-30% of the
blade length per mowing, and get your soil tested. Bet you need some N.

Old 19-09-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Usually occurs here when the cool season grasses don't get a hot spell
to go dormant and just grow and grow and grow . Solved by tossing on
some cheap fertlizer.