Old 23-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Mike

Default Orange Colour "Husks" On Soil And Grass

Hello,

I would like to ask this group if someone knows what it is that I've
found in my garden. Orange colour husks are appearing in parts of my
back garden on both soil (lots) and grass (small amount).

These husks look and feel a bit like a cross between wood shavings and
plastic !

I'm concerned that "something" may have shed this husk at night and if
so i want to get rid of it when I've found out what it is.

My garden is very similar to last year with same plants etc and the only
thing i can think of is that something has blown in the wind from
field or neighbours garden.

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks.

Martin
Old 23-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from Mike contains these words:

Hello,

I would like to ask this group if someone knows what it is that I've
found in my garden. Orange colour husks are appearing in parts of my
back garden on both soil (lots) and grass (small amount).

These husks look and feel a bit like a cross between wood shavings and
plastic !

I'm concerned that "something" may have shed this husk at night and if
so i want to get rid of it when I've found out what it is.

My garden is very similar to last year with same plants etc and the only
thing i can think of is that something has blown in the wind from
field or neighbours garden.

Any suggestions please ?

Beech hedge?

--
AnneJ
Old 23-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Brian

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello,

I would like to ask this group if someone knows what it is that I've
found in my garden. Orange colour husks are appearing in parts of my
back garden on both soil (lots) and grass (small amount).

These husks look and feel a bit like a cross between wood shavings and
plastic !

I'm concerned that "something" may have shed this husk at night and if
so i want to get rid of it when I've found out what it is.

My garden is very similar to last year with same plants etc and the only
thing i can think of is that something has blown in the wind from
field or neighbours garden.

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks.

Martin

These are most likely the scales from the buds of nearby trees. Horse
chestnut, beech etc. many possibilities but trees will be the culprits. No
problems.
Best Wishes Brian.

evolutionary purpose of husks on walnut [email protected] Plant Science 4 28-10-2008 11:54 PM
Corn husks Chris[_14_] Gardening 4 16-06-2008 06:18 PM
Corn burting through husks? Matthew Reed Gardening 2 12-08-2006 06:41 PM
Rose Colour and Temperature "Just Joey" in cool climates Radika Kesavan Roses 0 02-04-2003 09:08 PM
Passiflora "Incense" colour Annabel United Kingdom 8 03-02-2003 06:26 PM