Old 19-09-2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Thank you RG

Someone asked the question below back in August. Since I am from zone
6/7 PA I figured I try planting some stuff per the replies they got. I
have never done fall planting before in my small vegetable garden. I
got the guys at the garden center to go dumpster diving and pull out
the seeds their rep had just thrown away. They gave me Burpee packs
for 10 cents and I convinced them to put the rest out for elementary
school students and their science projects.

TODAY I picked radishes and leaf lettuce from what I planted, along
with some of my last pink heirloom tomatoes. A spring salad in the
fall with garden tomatoes...I am in heaven.

Jim

What should I plant now?

Date: Mon, Aug 21 2006 1:38 pm
Email:
Groups: rec.gardens

Group,

I live in zone 6, eastern PA. I am a newbie for gardening.

I just got a piece of small community garden and I am learning to
garden. Now that it is late august, what should I plant? I do not
have any preference, only something that can get my foot wet, something
that can survive the winter or can harvest before frost kills them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 19-09-2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

McGerm wrote:
Someone asked the question below back in August. Since I am from zone
6/7 PA I figured I try planting some stuff per the replies they got. I
have never done fall planting before in my small vegetable garden. I
got the guys at the garden center to go dumpster diving and pull out
the seeds their rep had just thrown away. They gave me Burpee packs
for 10 cents and I convinced them to put the rest out for elementary
school students and their science projects.

TODAY I picked radishes and leaf lettuce from what I planted, along
with some of my last pink heirloom tomatoes. A spring salad in the
fall with garden tomatoes...I am in heaven.

Wait until you discover hoophouses. Your January harvests will be even
better. I have three large beds that I don't touch before november.
Sadly, I am switching to greens myself, the last watermelon picked
sunday, and only a handful tomatoes yesterday.